OICS: Computers Only ICS based Chess server for anyone

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

jshriver

OICS: Computers Only ICS based Chess server for anyone

Post by jshriver »

Kind of an obligatory post :) but wanted to make it.

For those who know, or especially those who do not know. I run a 24/7 FICS and ICC based chess server, strictly for computer chess programmers to play their engines.

It's open to all, but prefer engine authors.. though I do allow clones, non-engine authors, really anyone with hardware where they want to test or play games. Though so far in the last 1.5 years it's been strictly engine authors.

The goal of this project spawned from my own desire to play and test engines on FICS. It's still a great place to play, however I found tournaments and game play was slow to find players.

This server, plays tournaments 24/7 and is open to EVERYONE. In fact it's 100% automated, looks for whoever is online, and automatically adds you to the tournament.

It's a great place to test your engines, since it plays at minimum 18 players, though I'm working to keep 24-28 "core" players on at any give time.

Each of my "core engines" is the latest available, running at 1 full core each. With a common opening book I update often.

The server also runs 24/7 a couple "private engines" that you might not find that often, outside the H.G. Muller once a month tourney. I respect, and even donated hardware specifically to Nightmare and Raptor (both I greatly respect, and greatful they allowed me to host their engines).

Side note, if you have custom code you do not want to share with the world, or do not have the capbilities of running 24/7, I may be able to host and run your engine for you. All games played I share online for free via my website. Plus like FICS/ICC you can have games automatically emailed to you.

About it for now :) I'm looking forward to new users. This has been running strong for over 1.5 years now. Bugs/kinks have been worked out and I monitor it 24/7 and make frequent updates to ensure stability.

Since this is FICS/ICC based you can use any client you wish. xbooard/winboard/arena, etc.. even icsdrone due to the hardwork of Michel Van den Bergh. Anything that works on ICC/FICS or H.G. Muller's server will work (my server is a fork of his).

-Josh

http://olympuschess.com
ICS: oics.olympuschess.com port 5000
jshriver

Re: OICS: Computers Only ICS based Chess server for anyone

Post by jshriver »

Forgot to add... I do realize peoples time and computing resources can be limited.

If you are in a tournament, and need to leave mid-way... I do not penalize. This is where my time really comes into play..

I will simply give you a "bye" and remove you from the tournament. Since it's mamer based..... I also credit or "clear" .. the er... mamer evil tag... works well for FICS, but not for OICS. I give no ill for people who need to leave.

I just want to keep the games and tournament flowing. In the end it's REALLY not the tournament that matters, it's only a means of automating games. It's about keeping games running between engines in a meaning full and balanced way.

-Josh
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

This server, plays tournaments 24/7 and is open to EVERYONE. In fact it's 100% automated, looks for whoever is online, and automatically adds you to the tournament.
This is very nice, no need to type command match blah blah blah. Deuterium would like to play.
BTW how do you handle internet connection problem? Are you going to forfeit after a single disconnection? Currently my internet connection is not that stable especially when there is bad weather, but i will try and observe how it is going. How to connect? Thanks.
phenri

Post by phenri »

I can not log in as a guest with BabasChess client (to watch parts of games, for example)

I get this error message.

Code: Select all

---------------------------
BabasChess
Logon error: unknown server
OK   
jdart

Post by jdart »

I have logged into this and left my program on, but it does not seem to be auto-joined to tourneys.

--Jon
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

Its in and playing now. Good game against Nightmare by the way. :)

-Josh