The Ultimate Stockfish!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Mike S.

The Ultimate Stockfish!

Post by Mike S. »

Many of you will probably know it anyway, but it should not go unnoticed by anyone: A Stockfish 3 version, based on up-to-date code, has been released which has powerful additional features:

:arrow: Gaviota tablebases access
:arrow: "persistant hash" permanent learning

(both being configurable)

http://open-chess.org/viewtopic.php?f=7 ... 940#p18940

A wonderful version created by Jeremy Bernstein. Thank you! :mrgreen:
Regards, Mike
shrapnel

Re: The Ultimate Stockfish!

Post by shrapnel »

That's fine and dandy, but at the rate at which Stockfish is being updated, it will soon be obsolete.
So not much point I think.
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
peter
Full name: Peter Martan

Post by peter »

shrapnel wrote: but at the rate at which Stockfish is being updated, it will soon be obsolete.
Hi!
From here:

http://www.open-chess.org/viewtopic.php ... 964#p18964

v006
- Persistent Hash:
- reduced record size
- rewritten to use new database format (Kyoto Cabinet), with automatic translation from old format (QDBM)
- added new "importepd" feature, see below
- added new "Use Persistent Hash As Book Depth" UCI option
- pruning the PH file creates/appends to a "stockfish_pruned.hsh" backup of the discarded records
- "general improvements"
- further 3x repetition checking improvements
- update to the tip of the Stockfish upstream master branch

8-)
Peter.
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

So what, even if it is the tip ?
There will be no more Stockfish updates or what ?
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
peter
Full name: Peter Martan

Post by peter »

I don't understand your question quite well, Anil, of course their will be further updates, I get Jeremy Bernstein's posting in that way, that his SF- branch will follow the master branch beeing updated too.
Don't you think this to be a very fine idea,
Peter.
Mithu

Post by Mithu »

shrapnel wrote:That's fine and dandy, but at the rate at which Stockfish is being updated, it will soon be obsolete.
So what? It is a major milestone and its not often we get to see major implementations. Why do you want to discourage these news announcements when its free and seems to be improving steadily and has a team of dedicated followers.

Had it been any announcement of Houdini I think there would be a celebration by the fanboys with numerous posts praising the almighty Houdini for a mere 10 elo raise!
Of course that is the point. You think there is no point in any engine having regular updates as it is steadily closing the gap against commercial engines! I guess your sense of an impending gloom (Stockfish surpassing Houdini) is actually going to be a reality soon thanks to these pointless updates!!!
duncan

Post by duncan »

Mithu wrote: Of course that is the point. You think there is no point in any engine having regular updates as it is steadily closing the gap against commercial engines! I guess your sense of an impending gloom (Stockfish surpassing Houdini) is actually going to be a reality soon thanks to these pointless updates!!!
what is your estimate when stockfish will surpass houdini. or at least current version.

duncan
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

Mithu wrote:
shrapnel wrote:That's fine and dandy, but at the rate at which Stockfish is being updated, it will soon be obsolete.
So what? It is a major milestone and its not often we get to see major implementations. Why do you want to discourage these news announcements when its free and seems to be improving steadily and has a team of dedicated followers.

Had it been any announcement of Houdini I think there would be a celebration by the fanboys with numerous posts praising the almighty Houdini for a mere 10 elo raise!
Of course that is the point. You think there is no point in any engine having regular updates as it is steadily closing the gap against commercial engines! I guess your sense of an impending gloom (Stockfish surpassing Houdini) is actually going to be a reality soon thanks to these pointless updates!!!
You got it all wrong, Mithun bro, I'm no Houdini fanboy.....I just go with what is the best.
Actually, I'm quite thrilled with the progress Stockfish is making recently, and by my own estimates it has already surpassed Houdini 3 , especially in the Middle-Game at LTCs !
If anything, this will force Mr Houdart to release Houdini 4 sooner rather than later, another positive !
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

shrapnel wrote: You got it all wrong, Mithun bro, I'm no Houdini fanboy.....I just go with what is the best.
If I may ask, go where? In other words, what exactly do you do with chess engines? Why does having the "best" matter? Surely you can't even earn a draw against either of these, so you not using them to play against.

Just curious.
gerold

Post by gerold »

duncan wrote:
Mithu wrote: Of course that is the point. You think there is no point in any engine having regular updates as it is steadily closing the gap against commercial engines! I guess your sense of an impending gloom (Stockfish surpassing Houdini) is actually going to be a reality soon thanks to these pointless updates!!!
what is your estimate when stockfish will surpass houdini. or at least current version.

duncan
Hi Duncan. Stockfish will not surpass Houdini for sometime if at all. I have been testing the latest updates. They are about the same elo as SF3 which was the latest improved SF. I would love to see a free version of SF or any other engine free or not top Houdini.

Best,
Gerold.