WinBoard 4.7.0 released (with CCT support!)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

WinBoard 4.7.0 released (with CCT support!)

Post by hgm »

We finally decided that XBoard/WinBoard 4.7.0 is stable enough for release. I prepaired an installer for the WinBoard binary today. It can be downloaded from

http://hgm.nubati.net/WinBoard-4.7.0.exe

Most important new features compared to 4.6.2 are:
* exclusion of moves from analysis
* analysis with two egines at once
* annotating multi-game files with analysis results
* use of external piece bitmaps possible
* support of board themes for more fancy graphics (e.g. board rim)
* can be started by dropping a file on it (PGN, FEN, tourney, settings)
* pause function
* converting PGN files to opening book (experimental)
* building a book from scratch by Monte-Carlo play (experimental)

For an elaborate description of novelties, see http://www.gnu.org/software/xboard/what ... index.html .

A small extra relevant to spectators of CCT is that WinBoard now automatically turns on the channels for which you open a chatbox. A "CCT spectator" item is included in the Windows Start menu which will connect you directly to the ICS where the tourney is held, and opens chatboxes for the relevant channels (49 and 64). It also configures the ICS menu for commands useful when watching the tourney, such as requesting the standings and schedule of the current round directly from the tourney manager.
JoshPettus

Re: WinBoard 4.7.0 released (with CCT support!)

Post by JoshPettus »

Congratulations!

I'll see if I can find time to crank out a OSX installer. Now that I know how to compile for OS's that arnt the current one I'm using, it should be more useful.
BubbaTough

Post by BubbaTough »

JoshPettus wrote:Congratulations!

I'll see if I can find time to crank out a OSX installer. Now that I know how to compile for OS's that arnt the current one I'm using, it should be more useful.
That would be wonderful.

-Sam
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

Hmm. This is even worse than i thought

I knew with the inclusion of cairo, xboard is no longer the light, little application it once was and requires over 30mb in .dylibs. But I thought I could convince xboard to look else where for these libraries then the default macports install at runtime. I didn't expect GTK version of xboard to make things far even more complicated then what I can do with this little package program with parts of libraries that need to be all over the place.

All of which if i included would easily interfere with someones macports install which i don't want to do so i can't include them into the package.

Not to mention another problem. Even if i set osx to compile xboard for older systems, the librsvg and gtk libraries plus their dependencies are still compiled by macports for my own system. So it's not practical there either to setup a pseudo macports install

It seems people are just going to have to install macports and get these libraries for themselves. In which case they might as well just compile xboard too. Idk does anyone have any suggestions?
ZirconiumX

Post by ZirconiumX »

Joshua, have you tried statically linking in the libraries?

Matthew:out
Some believe in the almighty dollar.

I believe in the almighty printf statement.
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

That sounds like a good idea, but how do i go about doing that?
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

One option is to get the MacPorts xboard port updated:

Code: Select all

LZsMacPro-OSX6: ~] port info xboard
xboard @4.6.0 (games)
Variants:             universal

Description:          Xboard is a graphical chessboard that can serve as a user interface for
                      Crafty, GNU Chess, for Internet Chess Servers, or for electronic mail
                      correspondence chess. xboard can also be used by itself.
Homepage:             http://www.gnu.org/software/xboard/

Library Dependencies: xorg-libXaw
Platforms:            darwin
License:              GPL-3+
Maintainers:          nomaintainer@macports.org
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

That would be nice, 4.6.0 is old. But how would they also incorporate the gtk version?
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

JoshPettus wrote:That would be nice, 4.6.0 is old. But how would they also incorporate the gtk version?
Many existing ports come with a number of variants. So I think there could be xboard +Xaw and xboard +gtk.
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

Yeah, I think macports would probably be the best for apple people now. Until someone who knows what they are doing can pop up and make a real Xboard.app that is. A Macboard if you will. XD There was a guy looking into it but he disappeared before hgm could separate out the backend stuff making the GTK build possible.