Houdini 3 with Scorpio Bitbases Question

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Milton

Houdini 3 with Scorpio Bitbases Question

Post by Milton »

I purchased Houdini 3 yesterday and I was wondering about its use with Scorpio Bitbases.

I currently have the program configured to use Nalimov egtbs (3-5 piece). If I configure the program to use Scorpio bitbases simultaneously with the Nalimov table bases, would the net result be positive, negative, or neutral with respect to playing strength?

My computer has an I7 990x processor with 9Gb ram. Thanks!
Adam Hair

Re: Houdini 3 with Scorpio Bitbases Question

Post by Adam Hair »

According to what Robert told the CCRL, if the GUI sends the paths for multiple table and bit bases, Houdini will use whatever the last path that was sent. He recommended choosing just one of the three available bases and enter the path to them. Don't use more than one.
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

Milton wrote:I purchased Houdini 3 yesterday and I was wondering about its use with Scorpio Bitbases.

I currently have the program configured to use Nalimov egtbs (3-5 piece). If I configure the program to use Scorpio bitbases simultaneously with the Nalimov table bases, would the net result be positive, negative, or neutral with respect to playing strength?

Another related question is whether the scorpio bitbases are loading correctly. When I load Houdini3 (set to use the Egbb), it initially loads an extra ~200 MB of RAM for about 1 minute, but then the RAM displayed in the Task Manager drops off by about 200MB. Does this mean the bitbases failed to load properly? [using Fritz/Chessbase; H3 not set to use gaviota egtb's]

Also, what about the Egbb cache size? Should the default 32MB be used? What about using a 256MB cache, as that could hold the entire C:\Egbb folder? This isn't clear, even after reading the manual.

Thanks, clarification would be appreciated.
Regards,
Carl
Jouni

Post by Jouni »

I was wondering also tablebase access, because there is no Nalimov path in engine parameters like in documentation!
Jouni
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Jouni wrote:I was wondering also tablebase access, because there is no Nalimov path in engine parameters like in documentation!
As it says in the documentation, it depends on the GUI. There is a Nailimov path in the parameters in ChessGUI. But not in Shredder GUI.
IWB

Post by IWB »

Adam Hair wrote:According to what Robert told the CCRL, if the GUI sends the paths for multiple table and bit bases, Houdini will use whatever the last path that was sent. He recommended choosing just one of the three available bases and enter the path to them. Don't use more than one.
Thats interesting.

The CB/Classic/? GUIs send the Nalimov path to all engines. Just using Bitbases is not possible in that case ...
The exception would be to switch off Nalimov for all engines but that is not an option I suppose.

Bye
Ingo
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Re: WOW-WOW-WOW !

Post by Sylwy »

Milton wrote:I purchased Houdini 3 yesterday and I was wondering about its use with Scorpio Bitbases.

Scorpio bitbases- like all bitbases- are loaded into the RAM memory !!!
And used in search !

Not the same thing for Nalimov TBs !

It's the same thing like in Shredder (Shredderbases+Nalimov) or Chiron (Scorpio+Nalimov/Gaviota) or Patzer or Yace or............situations.

:lol:

SilvianR :wink:
Sylwy

Post by Sylwy »

Modern Times wrote:
Jouni wrote:I was wondering also tablebase access, because there is no Nalimov path in engine parameters like in documentation!
As it says in the documentation, it depends on the GUI. There is a Nailimov path in the parameters in ChessGUI. But not in Shredder GUI.
Because Shredder (like Fritz) GUI are linked itself to Nalimov. See-please-the GUI options !

Sylwy

Re: Any conflict

Post by Sylwy »

Adam Hair wrote:According to what Robert told the CCRL, if the GUI sends the paths for multiple table and bit bases, Houdini will use whatever the last path that was sent. He recommended choosing just one of the three available bases and enter the path to them. Don't use more than one.
Hi Adam !

The pairs:

1.Scorpio+Nalimov, or
2.Scorpio+Gaviota

are OK. Scorpio egbbs are loaded into the RAM memory (and used in search), Nalimov TBS are used to root for a concrete mate. No conflicts !

Regards,
velmarin

Post by velmarin »

IWB wrote:
Thats interesting.

The CB/Classic/? GUIs send the Nalimov path to all engines. Just using Bitbases is not possible in that case ...
The exception would be to switch off Nalimov for all engines but that is not an option I suppose.

Bye
Ingo
When you invite a Engine, a tournament or match has the option to "load the tablebases" in case Fritz Nalimov,
The bitbases Scorpio are defined in parameter.

No problem.