a question about Rybka...

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

pilgrimdan

a question about Rybka...

Post by pilgrimdan »

if the code for Fruit had not been made available to the public...

how would Rybka (and other chess engines) be different today...
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: a question about Rybka...

Post by hgm »

Well, Fabien himself claimed that Fruit did not contain any tricks that were not publicly known before. But I guess Fruit opened the eyes of many people that some of these tricks could be made to work very well.
A Distel

Post by A Distel »

pilgrimdan wrote:if the code for Fruit had not been made available to the public...

What if Shakespeare had had a test audience for Romeo and Juliet or Hamlet?
bob

Post by bob »

pilgrimdan wrote:if the code for Fruit had not been made available to the public...

Hard to say. Seems like reverse-engineering is a pretty commonly practiced art in computer chess, based on the past couple of years of revelation.
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

hgm wrote:Well, Fabien himself claimed that Fruit did not contain any tricks that were not publicly known before. But I guess Fruit opened the eyes of many people that some of these tricks could be made to work very well.
Wish this forum had a "like" function
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

bob wrote: Hard to say. Seems like reverse-engineering is a pretty commonly practiced art in computer chess, based on the past couple of years of revelation.
This makes me paranoid for my own engine. I've written it all 100% from scratch, aside from the glue to the Gaviota egtb code. But since it's 0x80 based I still get paranoid due to "concept" cloning.

The fine line between outright cloning, and creation seems really gray. Once I publish olympus, is there a formal body I could send my code. Not that I'm as concerned about being blacklisted, I'd be curious of how things get rated.

Again I'm doing things 100% from scratch, and even gone so far as to not look at other peoples code. But still curious how just reading posts here, or looking at stats can change ones perspective.

-Josh
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

And now suddenly we have a flurry of EO discussions in the main forum. Many do not want to see this kind of post here which is why a separate forum is dedicated to it.