Cutechess engines.json

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Richard Allbert

Cutechess engines.json

Post by Richard Allbert »

Hi,

A while ago I wrote a simple GUI for myself which generates the batch files for running cutechess tournaments.

Today I want to use some spare time to add some more features - specifically to be able to edit the engines.json from the GUI - and had a question about how it's implemented in Cutechess, which will determine how lazy I can be with the json parser :).

So, are the json items limited to command, name, options, protocol, workingdirectory ? or can all other cutechess engine options be added in also?

Many thanks

Richard
Ferdy

Re: Cutechess engines.json

Post by Ferdy »

Richard Allbert wrote:Hi,

A while ago I wrote a simple GUI for myself which generates the batch files for running cutechess tournaments.

Today I want to use some spare time to add some more features - specifically to be able to edit the engines.json from the GUI - and had a question about how it's implemented in Cutechess, which will determine how lazy I can be with the json parser :).

So, are the json items limited to command, name, options, protocol, workingdirectory ? or can all other cutechess engine options be added in also?

Many thanks

Richard
In addition I use initStrings and restart.

Code: Select all

{ 
      "command" : "Deuterium-1062.exe", 
      "name" : "Deuterium-1062",
      "restart" : "on",
      "initStrings" : [ 
          "setvalue ComboAttackFactorOp 230",
          "setvalue ComboAttackFactorEn 130"
      ],
      "protocol" : "xboard",
      "workingDirectory" : "C:\\MyFiles\\Chess\\engines\\nobook\\Deuterium"
   },
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Why do you use a 'setvalue' commands rather than the compliant 'option' command from WB protocol? Are those options you don't want the user to set or know about?
ilari

Post by ilari »

Richard Allbert wrote:So, are the json items limited to command, name, options, protocol, workingdirectory ? or can all other cutechess engine options be added in also?

Many thanks

Richard
In addition to what you just listed, "initStrings" (commands sent to the engine at startup), "whitepov" (scores from white's perspective), "restart" (restart engine after each game) and "variants" (a list of supported chess variants) are supported. Here's an example:

[
	{
		"command" : "engine",
		"name" : "My Engine",
			"first command",
			"second command"
		],
		"variants" : [
			"standard",
			"fischerandom",
			"atomic",
			"crazyhouse",
			"losers"
		],
		"whitepov" : true,
		"workingDirectory" : ""
	}
]
We also have a manual page for editing the engines.json file, but it's already outdated. I guess I should fix that...
ilari

Post by ilari »

hgm wrote:Why do you use a 'setvalue' commands rather than the compliant 'option' command from WB protocol? Are those options you don't want the user to set or know about?
Cute Chess doesn't yet support custom Winboard options, only the hardcoded ones like "memory" and "cores". Of course the user could still set those options with init strings, but my guess is that Ferdinand has used CLOP + cutechess-cli to optimize some weights in his engine, and didn't want or need to make them user-configurable.
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

Ferdy wrote:

Many thanks

Richard
In addition I use initStrings and restart.

{ 
      "command" : "Deuterium-1062.exe", 
      "name" : "Deuterium-1062",
          "setvalue ComboAttackFactorOp 230",
          "setvalue ComboAttackFactorEn 130"
      ],
      "workingDirectory" : "C:\\MyFiles\\Chess\\engines\\nobook\\Deuterium"
   },
Thank you for posting this, Ferdinand. I was having trouble figuring out how to send the value for certain options to Gaviota. Now I have it working.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

ilari wrote:Of course the user could still set those options with init strings,
That is what I meant. And your guess as to why sounds reasonable. Although engines like Fruit and Glaurung seem to make such tuning options availble to everyone.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

ilari wrote:
hgm wrote:Why do you use a 'setvalue' commands rather than the compliant 'option' command from WB protocol? Are those options you don't want the user to set or know about?
Cute Chess doesn't yet support custom Winboard options, only the hardcoded ones like "memory" and "cores". Of course the user could still set those options with init strings, but my guess is that Ferdinand has used CLOP + cutechess-cli to optimize some weights in his engine, and didn't want or need to make them user-configurable.
Yes that is primarily for clop and cutechess :) .
Zlaire

Post by Zlaire »

If you feel like sharing this I'd be very grateful. Been thinking about doing this myself but never got around to it.
Richard Allbert

Post by Richard Allbert »

I will, I'll try to have it finished by the end of the week.