IWCCC 2012 Changes

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Peter Skinner
Full name: Peter Skinner

IWCCC 2012 Changes

Post by Peter Skinner »

Hello everyone,

I have changed the event up so appease those wanting to enter a program, but not wanting to get culled if the original author enters.

The event will also be moved to H.G.M's ICS server to further reduce the entry fee. It is now $50 to enter the Main Event, and still $50 to enter the blitz event, with 100% of the money going to the prize pool.

Rules and changes are already on the website: http://www.cctchess.com

This is event is now really an "Internet World Computer Chess Championship" where an individual can win the title. May the best setup win. Humans wanting to enter in a freestyle fashion as do so as well.

Discuss...

Peter
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Re: IWCCC 2012 Changes

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Peter Skinner wrote:Hello everyone,

I have changed the event up so appease those wanting to enter a program, but not wanting to get culled if the original author enters.

The event will also be moved to H.G.M's ICS server to further reduce the entry fee. It is now $50 to enter the Main Event, and still $50 to enter the blitz event, with 100% of the money going to the prize pool.

This is event is now really an "Internet World Computer Chess Championship" where an individual can win the title. May the best setup win. Humans wanting to enter in a freestyle fashion as do so as well.

Discuss...

Peter
As humans can now enter in a freestyle fashion I gues the rule about no manually operated programs should be removed. Also kibitzing is not a good idea an engine will tell a centaur its plans.
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

I don't understand why there has to be money in it (also 50$ is too much). With that amount and the openness of the tournament (for everyone,with any hardware etc), it sounds more like gambling than a computer chess tournament. If the aim is to have an alternative to ICGA controlled WCCC (which I support), make it only to engine authors,bookmakers or anyone who is allowed to operate the engine. Otherwise the one running houdini on biggest hardware wins! So I , as a programmer, am better of improving houdini if I want to participate ?!
kgburcham

Post by kgburcham »

Harvey Williamson wrote:

Discuss...
Peter
As humans can now enter in a freestyle fashion I gues the rule about no manually operated programs should be removed. Also kibitzing is not a good idea an engine will tell a centaur its plans.
could someone tell me why manual moves should not be allowed?
I am not trying to argue, I just dont know all the positives and negatives about these competitions, and there are so many opinions why.
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

kgburcham wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:

Discuss...
Peter
could someone tell me why manual moves should not be allowed?
I am not trying to argue, I just dont know all the positives and negatives about these competitions, and there are so many opinions why.
It sounds like it could become a Freestyle world championship which could be interesting. Probably need a 60+15 time control to give operator time.
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

Why are humans allowed in a computer chess championship anyway. This tournament adds only an "I" to WCCC but has different rules ...
Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

Harvey Williamson wrote: As humans can now enter in a freestyle fashion I gues the rule about no manually operated programs should be removed. Also kibitzing is not a good idea an engine will tell a centaur its plans.
Good observation. I missed that.
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

Daniel Shawul wrote:I don't understand why there has to be money in it (also 50$ is too much). With that amount and the openness of the tournament (for everyone,with any hardware etc), it sounds more like gambling than a computer chess tournament. If the aim is to have an alternative to ICGA controlled WCCC (which I support), make it only to engine authors,bookmakers or anyone who is allowed to operate the engine. Otherwise the one running houdini on biggest hardware wins! So I , as a programmer, am better of improving houdini if I want to participate ?!
This is not meant to be an alternative to the ICGA event. This is purely a competition for _everyone_, author or not. Computer, human, or centaur.

People who initially sent emails about the event wanted a prize fund and suggested the $100.00. I've lowered it to $50.

There is a prize for the best amateur in the event...

Peter
Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

Daniel Shawul wrote:Why are humans allowed in a computer chess championship anyway. This tournament adds only an "I" to WCCC but has different rules ...
Suggest a name change? It is based on the internet, anyone in the World can enter, it's a Championship, and likely all participants will be using some form of computer chess program. Thus the Internet World Computer Chess Championship.

Made sense to me...
Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

Harvey Williamson wrote: It sounds like it could become a Freestyle world championship which could be interesting. Probably need a 60+15 time control to give operator time.
Good suggestion. I have made that change, and removed the kibitzing requirement.

Peter