How about we settle the WCCC argument?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ferdy

Re: How about we settle the WCCC argument?

Post by Ferdy »

gleperlier wrote:Sounds really great but the only main issue is : How will you handle the "Houdini" and "Critter" renamed engine ?

Many people will like to play different engines for fun, tunning book etc. even for 100$, but some of them will chase for the price money.

Cheers,

Gab
I guess this is not the issue, the issue is to know the winning engine from this tournamanent :) .
Perhaps the emphasis is not to the programmer but to the engine. Important thing here is to verify the person applying for the tourney. Tell his real name, address and phone number :D.
Peter Skinner
Full name: Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

Jeroen wrote:Best idea in computer chess since ages! You clearly have my vote, as this will be the most interesting computer chess tournament in history. Bravo Peter!
My sarcasm meter went ballistic when I read your reply. It is on the fritz? (No pun intended)

Peter
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

Ferdy wrote:
gleperlier wrote:Sounds really great but the only main issue is : How will you handle the "Houdini" and "Critter" renamed engine ?

Many people will like to play different engines for fun, tunning book etc. even for 100$, but some of them will chase for the price money.

Cheers,

Gab
I guess this is not the issue, the issue is to know the winning engine from this tournamanent :) .
Perhaps the emphasis is not to the programmer but to the engine. Important thing here is to verify the person applying for the tourney. Tell his real name, address and phone number :D.
If the original author doesn't enter the event, _anyone_ will be able to register it. The beautiful thing about this event, it will give the people who bash the WCCC/ACCA/CCT events for only having verified authors participate a chance to see their favorite engine in a tournament environment.

If 20 enter with Houdini, so be it.

Being that the entry fees are only accepted via PayPal (and prize money distributed), I would assume more would have their real name there. Not that I am interested at all.

This is REALLY a "bring the best engine, hardware, and book that you can attain." We'll just how much fun it is.

If someone wants to put 5 horses in the race, so be it.

Peter
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
jm_thompson

Post by jm_thompson »

Peter Skinner wrote:
Jeroen wrote:Best idea in computer chess since ages! You clearly have my vote, as this will be the most interesting computer chess tournament in history. Bravo Peter!
My sarcasm meter went ballistic when I read your reply. It is on the fritz? (No pun intended)

Peter
I don't think he was sarcastic. I'm pretty sure Rybka Cluster will join.
Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

IanO wrote:I'd watch it! Sounds like a fine counterpoint to the restrictiveness of other events. Let the melee begin!

I presume authors would be given precedence if there were multiple entries using the same engine?
You know what would be awesome? Any program that is only single processor capable winning the whole shebang. Pulling a Shredder so to speak :)

That would make it totally worth while.

Peter
jm_thompson

Post by jm_thompson »

I've read that more then 100 people wrote you an email.
With so many possible partecipants, perhaps 7 rounds are too few. What you think?
Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

jm_thompson wrote:I've read that more then 100 people wrote you an email.
With so many possible partecipants, perhaps 7 rounds are too few. What you think?
Good question. If needed I will extend it to 9 or 11. Same goes for the blitz event.

Peter
gleperlier

Post by gleperlier »

Peter,

What about having special modest prizes for :

- The 2 players of the most beautifull game.
- The most beautifull move
- The most Human Grand Master like game or most Human Grand Master like engine play.

You way designate a Jury for that with well known Authors or personnalities (David Kittinger ?) and best would one or 2 GM or IM .

Cheers,

Gab
Sedat Canbaz

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

Dear Peter,

Very good idea...no patience to see a such World competition

Btw,there was a similar situation (complaints) regarding SCCT/Testo Book Tournaments

I mean,some people complained that there were cheatings (e.g double books by same user) in SCCT/Testo

Actually i see those complaints as very normal or maybe even as excuse

And due to those complaints... we decided to changed the rules:
-The current SCCT/Testo rules are 'two books by same Author is allowed'
-And the both books by same Author should be completely different to each other

In case of more similar complaints,then the next rule will be:
'3 books by same Author is allowed' and so on...

Btw,the current SCCT/Testo rules are almost similar as Playchess server

In other words,
-The strongest one is generally ranking as 1st place (it does not matter how many opponents will enter with doubles or triples...)

One thing more,
Actually it will be good idea too,if you allow more doubles,triples participants by same user
In this way the prize will grow up :)

Best,
Sedat
Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

Sedat Canbaz wrote:Dear Peter,

Very good idea...no patience to see a such World competition

Btw,there was a similar situation (complaints) regarding SCCT/Testo Book Tournaments

I mean,some people complained that there were cheatings (e.g double books by same user) in SCCT/Testo

Actually i see those complaints as very normal or maybe even as excuse

And due to those complaints... we decided to changed the rules:
-The current SCCT/Testo rules are 'two books by same Author is allowed'
-And the both books by same Author should be completely different to each other

In case of more similar complaints,then the next rule will be:
'3 books by same Author is allowed' and so on...

Btw,the current SCCT/Testo rules are almost similar as Playchess server

In other words,
-The strongest one is generally ranking as 1st place (it does not matter how many opponents will enter with doubles or triples...)

One thing more,
Actually it will be good idea too,if you allow more doubles,triples participants by same user
In this way the prize will grow up :)

Best,
Sedat
Most of what you state has been addressed in the rules. Any participant can enter up to 5 entries if they should choose to.

http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=44118
http://www.cctchess.com

Event has been announced for those not aware.

Peter