which smartphone to buy?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Daniel Shawul

which smartphone to buy?

Post by Daniel Shawul »

I finally saved some money and 'developed the need' to buy a smartphone. I didn't like the iphone not because it is not good but because it has severe restrictions due to security. It can not run java apps for example. So I decided on the samsong galaxy brands. I liked the latest one and when I am about to buy it another one got released today ?! It looks fantastic if I belive the hype and the specs with Quad core with GPUs etc. I want to do some programming on it btw. Which smartphone should I buy (probably a one time investement) that will not make me regret it later when a new one comes out.
cheers

P.S: I hope my post is not against the charter but if it is feel free to move & delete it.
CRoberson

Re: which smartphone to buy?

Post by CRoberson »

Why a smartphone? Why not a tablet? Tablets are much cheaper when you consider the long term costs of the monthly phone bill.

Of course, you can't make calls on a tablet from anywhere; just when connected to WIFI.
kinderchocolate
Full name: Ted Wong

Post by kinderchocolate »

When it comes to Android, the Galaxy must be the best. I use Galaxy and i like it. The Galaxy has multiple GPUs for your chess programming. I also have other cheaper Android phones, but they are very bad when playing a chess app such as "Chess For Android". You really should go for the top-tier models.
Last edited by kinderchocolate on Fri May 04, 2012 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jm_thompson

Post by jm_thompson »

Samsung Galaxy Nexus should be a good choice I think. Being a Google Nexus it should always receive Android updates.
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

Samsung Galaxy Nexus should be a good choice I think. Being a Google Nexus it should always receive Android updates.
Alright I am going to buy this since I don't have patience to wait for the newest one.

@charles: I have a laptop so a tablet is probably too much of an overlap. But the galaxy nexus is also big to be considered a tablet :)
thanks all.
Dan Andersson

Post by Dan Andersson »

I have a Galaxy Nexus and am quite content with it. Even though the next gen phones are coming out I still haven't lusted after the HTC One X or the Galaxy S3. I like the undiluted Android 4.0

MvH Dan Andersson
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

From my phone :)
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

I have both the Galaxy and the Iphone and to be honest I find the Iphone much better. You can jailbreak your Iphone if you want to circumvent the security scheme that Apple seems to think you need (more likely is for Apple to insure its monopoly over applications). The Galaxy does have a nicer screen, but Android just feels much more cluttered and not as intuitive as the Iphone OS. What is certain is that both will do a fantastic job ... a smartphone with Dropbox, email, Skype, Whatsapp, Panorama and HDR PRO and a good Chess application ... how did we manage to live all this time without this ???