ChessMaster XI : Questions

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

styx

Re: ChessMaster XI : Questions

Post by styx »

Uri wrote:Chessmaster is a weak chess engine, perhaps one of the weakest I know. I own Chessmaster 9000 and it plays terribly.

Houdini 2.0C and Deep Junior 13 are much much stronger engines than Chessmaster.
weaker than your mentioned engines, yes. but i would not call it "terrible". it's still pretty good. i don't know exactly why, but i always liked it's playing style and the personalities in chessmaster are fun to play.

but maybe i like it so much, because i did my first pc-chess-steps with this program. therefore i fully understand Gabriel.

lets just say "there are better programs for analysis, but it's still a tough opponent"
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Re: Zero culture in computer chess !

Post by Sylwy »

Uri wrote:Chessmaster is a weak chess engine, perhaps one of the weakest I know. I own Chessmaster 9000 and it plays terribly.

Houdini 2.0C and Deep Junior 13 are much much stronger engines than Chessmaster.

He -he -he Zlatnik (Gold Coin in an Eastern language :lol:) !

Too much Ippo-Robbo-Ivan brainwash isn't good !

1.They aren't any Chessmaster chess engine !
2. The chess engines used along the history on Chessmaster GUIs were WChess and The King !
3.The King 3.50 chess engine plays at a GM level !
4.The King is a flexible chess engine. Can be tuned from a novice to a very strong player level ! Not like your Ivans.
5.Can you understand what means a nice play in chess and what means a strong play in chess ? The King plays first of all a nice chess ! A sort of art. In the same class with Diep , The Baron and some few engines ! Probably you never heard something about !
6.Are you a such strong player to beat everyday The King at its full force ? I doubt ! Even GM Larry Christiansen wasn't able !
7.Why are you interested only in force ? For me , even Marquis , Virutor , Toledo & co. are interesting chess entities.
8.Your computer chess culture stops to Houdini and Junior ? Only between are a lot of chess engines : Komodo , Stockfish , Critter , Fritz , Rybka , Shredder ........some with a nice history .
9.And.... why exactly Houdini and Junior ? I have already an explanation about " votre faiblesses" ! :lol:

What a pity ! Go to your daily dope with Ivans ( brute) force ! Prune this my post , please !

SilvianR :shock:
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

Uri wrote:Houdini 2.0C and Deep Junior 13 are much much stronger engines than Chessmaster.
No doubt about that, but The King is a very good quality engine. It's just that the standards have changed a lot since Fruit 2.1 and Rybka have appeared. Also, typically the King could be improved much by (a) increasing it's king safety parameter, and (b) increasing it's selectivity. I had CM9000 and I cannot remember exactly, but I think the major changes - to start with - were king saftey 150/150 and selectivity 12.

That was King 3.23 and I am almost sure that it is among the fastest combinators, still. Chessmaster is cult. :mrgreen: I had many versions starting with CM2000 for the Amiga.

Regards, Mike
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Mike S. wrote:
Uri wrote:Houdini 2.0C and Deep Junior 13 are much much stronger engines than Chessmaster.
No doubt about that, but The King is a very good quality engine. It's just that the standards have changed a lot since Fruit 2.1 and Rybka have appeared. Also, typically the King could be improved much by (a) increasing it's king safety parameter, and (b) increasing it's selectivity. I had CM9000 and I cannot remember exactly, but I think the major changes - to start with - were king saftey 150/150 and selectivity 12.

That was King 3.23 and I am almost sure that it is among the fastest combinators, still. Chessmaster is cult. :mrgreen: I had many versions starting with CM2000 for the Amiga.

Brings back fantastic memories....thanks Mike :D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….