Poll about forum using habits and possible sw update

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

How do you use the forum?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:41 pm

I mainly use thread view and would like to continue using it in the future, although it means it is not possible to update forum software.
24%
I mainly use thread view and would not mind if I don't use it in the future.
6%
I mainly use flat view.
70%

Total votes: 93

Kempelen

Re: Poll about forum using habits and possible sw update

Post by Kempelen »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
pocopito wrote:IMHO it's better to occasionally push the thread (if necesary). I guess the sticky entries usually are unintentionally filtered as "stuff I don't need to read because it's just about the rules of the forum" or something similar.
Besides, info usually calls more our attention if it "moves" than if it's static.
Very true....
Dr.D
OK, I will push it occasionally
Fermin Serrano
Author of 'Rodin' engine
http://sites.google.com/site/clonfsp/
gerold

Post by gerold »

Kempelen wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
pocopito wrote:IMHO it's better to occasionally push the thread (if necesary). I guess the sticky entries usually are unintentionally filtered as "stuff I don't need to read because it's just about the rules of the forum" or something similar.
Besides, info usually calls more our attention if it "moves" than if it's static.
Very true....
Dr.D
OK, I will push it occasionally
Plus ten.
Steve Maughan

Post by Steve Maughan »

With less than 20% of the votes objecting, I'd say you have a clear mandate to move ahead with the upgrade. I'm looking forward to accessing the forum with Tapatalk!!

Steve
Kempelen

Post by Kempelen »

Push the thread again to the top.
Fermin Serrano
Author of 'Rodin' engine
http://sites.google.com/site/clonfsp/
Volker Pittlik
Full name: Volker Pittlik

Post by Volker Pittlik »

I use flat view and would strongly suggest to update the forum software. The option to let the software ignore some posters is great.

vp
John_F

Post by John_F »

JuLieN wrote:I always use the flat view and the thread view is so annoying (at least for me) that I still don't know why it's the default view.
Me likewise.
rbarreira

Post by rbarreira »

Steve Maughan wrote:With less than 20% of the votes objecting, I'd say you have a clear mandate to move ahead with the upgrade. I'm looking forward to accessing the forum with Tapatalk!!

Steve
That depends, would it annoy more than 20% of the users to not upgrade? The poll does not make that clear.
K I Hyams

Post by K I Hyams »

The poll is both biased and weighted unfairly.
Poll wrote: I mainly use thread view and would like to continue using it in the future, although it means it is not possible to update forum software
It is biased because the clause in italics invokes feelings of selfishness in those who want to retain thread view. For that reason, it should either be removed or counterbalanced with a question such as:
Poll wrote: I mainly use flat view and although I can ignore thread view, I would like to deprive other people of the benefit of thread view for a marginal benefit to myself.

It is weighted because the option below invites a number of our members to place their preference in the trash bin.
Poll wrote: I mainly use thread view and would not mind if I don't use it in the future.
For that reason it should either be removed or counterbalanced with a question such as:
Poll wrote: I mainly use flat view and don’t mind if we retain the status quo.
Flat view has inherent problems with sequencing posts that are badly presented. However, some people choose their reading material by category and so flat view may suit that preference. Other people choose their reading material by author - they are interested in informed opinion, whatever the topic. Thread view may suit that preference - in addition, it has the built in “ignore idiot” option that some members find attractive; if the author is an idiot, don’t open his post.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

K I Hyams wrote:The poll is both biased and weighted unfairly.
Poll wrote: I mainly use thread view and would like to continue using it in the future, although it means it is not possible to update forum software
It is biased because the clause in italics invokes feelings of selfishness in those who want to retain thread view. For that reason, it should either be removed or counterbalanced with a question such as:
Poll wrote: I mainly use flat view and although I can ignore thread view, I would like to deprive other people of the benefit of thread view for a marginal benefit to myself.
From what I can gather, the whole point of the poll was to weigh up whether or not the majority of members would prefer up to date forum software or prefer to forego it because we would no longer have the thread view option.
It seems quite clear what the majority prefer so far.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
K I Hyams

Post by K I Hyams »

Graham Banks wrote: From what I can gather, the whole point of the poll was to weigh up whether or not the majority of members would prefer up to date forum software or prefer to forego it because we would no longer have the thread view option.
It seems quite clear what the majority prefer so far.
Simplistic. It is blindingly obvious what the intention was. Whether or not it elicits a fair picture of the feeling of our members is another matter. For example, the post below was written by Steven Edwards and appears in Forum Help and Suggestions:
sje wrote:Thank you for your reply and explanation. While I don't use the threaded view, I wouldn't want to take that option away from those who do.

Perhaps the people to lobby for changes are at phpBB or Moby.
How does the option "I mainly use flat view" reflect a case like that?