good macintosh guy for UCI engine development

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: good macintosh guy for UCI engine development

Post by hgm »

BubbaTough wrote:sigh...

-Sam
XBoard, at least, comes as a ready-to-run-out-of-the-box binary install. :wink:

And no matter how 'awsome' the a Chess-font-based ascii board is to those that like technology of the early eighties, I would prefer a graphics board where I can move pieces with the mouse! :P
trojanfoe

Post by trojanfoe »

BubbaTough wrote:I downloaded the most recent cute chess-cli, compiled for the Macintosh, but I got the following error:

dyld: Library not loaded: /Users/ilari/QtSDK/Desktop/Qt/4.8.0/gcc/lib/QtCore.framework/Versions/4/QtCore

sigh...

-Sam
Looks like you are using a custom build of Qt?

You would be better off installing Qt via Macports; there are lots of other tools as well, all ready-to-run (well ready-to-compile-and-run).
trojanfoe

Post by trojanfoe »

Evert wrote:
trojanfoe wrote: That is awesome. Are those chess pieces available in all Mac fonts?
Not a straight answer, but they are part of the standard Unicode range.
The pieces are in Menlo, but not in the other fixed-width fonts (Monaco, Courier, Courier New and Andale Mono).
I have Monaco set as my terminal font and I can get the pieces to display in my terminal.
Not sure if that means that it's doing some kind of font substitution, but regardless: they do work.
OK, that's cool - I will be looking into Mac fonts in more detail soon anyway, but maybe the Font Book doesn't show you all the glyphs or something.
micron

Post by micron »

BubbaTough wrote:I downloaded the most recent cute chess-cli, compiled for the Macintosh, but I got the following error:
dyld: Library not loaded: /Users/ilari/QtSDK/Desktop/Qt/4.8.0/gcc/lib/QtCore.framework/Versions/4/QtCore
Remember to invoke cutechess-cli.sh, not cutechess-cli.

Code: Select all

./cutechess-cli.sh --version
cutechess-cli 0.5.1
Using Qt version 4.8.0

./cutechess-cli --version
BubbaTough

Post by BubbaTough »

micron wrote:
Remember to invoke cutechess-cli.sh, not cutechess-cli.

Code: Select all

./cutechess-cli.sh --version
cutechess-cli 0.5.1
Using Qt version 4.8.0

./cutechess-cli --version
You, sir, are a genius. That solved my problem :).

-Sam
BubbaTough

Post by BubbaTough »

Does anyone know if there is something similar to elostat that works on the Mac?

-Sam
sje

Cautionary note

Post by sje »

Cautionary note:

I would advise against relying upon the continued official support of X Windows running on Mac OS/X. For some time, Apple has been removing developer tools which cover anything beyond what is needed for making applications for its various iGadgets. All PowerPC development support is gone, the ability to run PowerPC applications via emulation is gone, etc. Essentially, if what you write doesn't help make money for Apple via hardware sales and their 30% commission on software, then tough luck buddy.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: Cautionary note

Post by hgm »

Well, Chris Sears, (indeed, the original author of XBoard 1.0 !) is working on a native Mac Port of XBoard (for OS X Cocoa). So that would put us in the clear.
Evert

Post by Evert »

sje wrote: I would advise against relying upon the continued official support of X Windows running on Mac OS/X.
I'm not too worried.
Macs are popular within the scientific community because it provides a UNIX environment, including X11. The moment it's dropped it will lose its appeal.
Sure, the scientific community does not dominate the market for consumer-based hardware, but it does provide a solid and reliable customer base on which to build.

Personally I'm quite happy with my Mac, but should it stop doing what I need it to do, I'll use something else that does. Linux works quite well on laptops these days, so I wouldn't mind switching over.
Evert

Post by Evert »

Great news. As long as it includes the full variant support. :)

Although personally I don't care as much now that I have a desktop machine again on which to run things.