Chess for Android 3.0.2: enhanced XBoard support

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

abik
Full name: Aart Bik

Chess for Android 3.0.2: enhanced XBoard support

Post by abik »

I just released version 3.0.2 of Chess for Android, available from the Android market or as direct download. This release greatly enhances XBoard support in the application, including various idioms described in Tim Mann and H.G. Muller's detailed document (for example, recognizing an old idiom like "5. ... f8e7" instead of "move f8e7" and accepting SAN instead of coordinate algebraic only). This version is used to run an ongoing tournament between UCI and XBoard engines.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: Chess for Android 3.0.2: enhanced XBoard support

Post by hgm »

abik wrote:..., recognizing an old idiom like "5. ... f8e7" instead of "move f8e7"
Oh yes, that blemish on WB protocol brought upon us by the stubbornly non-compliant GNU Chess... I was actually considering to stop supporting that nonsense in the next WB release. When engines were few and far between it might have made sense to stoop as low as you possibly could to try and make even the most non-compliant run. But now the world is over-crowded with engines,so who needs them! Let them obey the protocol or perish!
abik
Full name: Aart Bik

Post by abik »

hgm wrote:I was actually considering to stop supporting that nonsense in the next WB release. When engines were few and far between it might have made sense to stoop as low as you possibly could to try and make even the most non-compliant run. But now the world is over-crowded with engines,so who needs them! Let them obey the protocol or perish!
:-)

I guess I am still in that desperate stage where I want to include as many engines as possible....
Michel

Post by Michel »

tubbornly non-compliant GNU Chess
This is only true for stone age versions of GNU Chess. Current versions
are compliant.