Grandmaster prefers Stockfish evals

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Albert Silver

Grandmaster prefers Stockfish evals

Post by Albert Silver »

I figured the Stockfish team would appreciate hearing this.

I was sitting next to GM Ian Rogers in the press room at the São Paulo Grand Slam, and noticed he kept running the latest Stockfish 2.1.1 on his laptop to check lines. I asked him about this. He said that while he knows and has Houdini and other engines, he very much likes Stockfish's evaluations and therefore tends to prefer it.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Dr.Wael Deeb

Re: Grandmaster prefers Stockfish evals

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Albert Silver wrote:I figured the Stockfish team would appreciate hearing this.

I was sitting next to GM Ian Rogers in the press room at the São Paulo Grand Slam, and noticed he kept running the latest Stockfish 2.1.1 on his laptop to check lines. I asked him about this. He said that while he knows and has Houdini and other engines, he very much likes Stockfish's evaluations and therefore tends to prefer it.
Great to hear that :D

I personally prefer Deep Rybka 4.1 evals....

Houdini,definitely no,too pessimistic....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
notyetagm

Post by notyetagm »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:

Houdini,definitely no,too pessimistic....Dr.D
Exactly.

If White has a big advantage, say 0.8, Houdini will say 0.25, not so big. :-)
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

notyetagm wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:

Houdini,definitely no,too pessimistic....Dr.D
Exactly.

If White has a big advantage, say 0.8, Houdini will say 0.25, not so big. :-)
Now Robert will have 2 human souls to smite :wink:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

Actually there is no engine that is best at all aspects of the game today. Stockfish can drive you nuts sometimes when it keeps changing its mind about a position. In the meantime Rybka 4.1 can drive you nuts because it will discard a winning advantage by exchanging into an obviously drawn endgame ... and Houdini will drive you nuts because it still doesn't understand that not all rook endgames are drawn and will give a drawn evaluation in a losing endgame. Best is to know what the weaknesses of each engine is and use the appropriate one for that position you want to analyze.