Dismissed with prejudice

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dann Corbit

Dismissed with prejudice

Post by Dann Corbit »

If it is found that the prosecutor has an axe to grind against the defendant and engages in any sort of prosecutorial misconduct, the case will be dismissed with prejudice and the defendant cannot be retried.
geots

Re: Dismissed with prejudice

Post by geots »

Dann Corbit wrote:If it is found that the prosecutor has an axe to grind against the defendant and engages in any sort of prosecutorial misconduct, the case will be dismissed with prejudice and the defendant cannot be retried.

Dann, there are 3 obvious things wrong with this. It's fair, it's sound, and it shows good sense. Hyatt would never go along with anything this sensible.

All the Best,
bob

Post by bob »

Dann Corbit wrote:If it is found that the prosecutor has an axe to grind against the defendant and engages in any sort of prosecutorial misconduct, the case will be dismissed with prejudice and the defendant cannot be retried.
Why do you keep tossing out these irrelevancies?

First, the case _may_ be dismissed with prejudice. Feel free to point out _any_ prosecutorial misconduct in this investigation. We hid no exculpatory data from Vas. We fabricated no data. We didn't threaten/coerce witnesses.

So what, exactly, does this have to do with anything? Not to mention that this is not a court and has no such rules in the first place. An organization is free to run its events in any way it wants, so long as it doesn't violate certain federal laws such as the Americans with Disabilities Act and anti-discrimination laws. None of that applies here, for sure.
geots

Post by geots »

bob wrote:

First, the case _may_ be dismissed with prejudice. Feel free to point out _any_ prosecutorial misconduct in this investigation. We hid no exculpatory data from Vas. We fabricated no data. We didn't threaten/coerce witnesses.

So what, exactly, does this have to do with anything? Not to mention that this is not a court and has no such rules in the first place. An organization is free to run its events in any way it wants, so long as it doesn't violate certain federal laws such as the Americans with Disabilities Act and anti-discrimination laws. None of that applies here, for sure.

You didnt believe me when i told you this deal was far from over. I predict it will end up being the worst nightmare of your life. :D
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

bob wrote:

I suppose that this was my point:
"this is not a court and has no such rules in the first place."
bob

Post by bob »

geots wrote:
bob wrote:

You didnt believe me when i told you this deal was far from over. I predict it will end up being the worst nightmare of your life. :D
Right. I've not heard that from you before. I suspect Vas is a lot smarter than you. there is no point in taking this to an open court, where there is no possible defence that can justify what happened. But you keep believing... or hoping... or imagining... or whatever it is you like to do.

It is absolutely over.
bob

Post by bob »

Dann Corbit wrote:
bob wrote:

And that point was known from the get-go, so the relevance would be???
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

bob wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:
bob wrote:

I have said all along that my real objections were to the process.
bob

Post by bob »

Dann Corbit wrote:
bob wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:
bob wrote:

And I don't get the objection. The ICGA was formed _by_ programmers. We wrote the rules we compete by. We accept them when we play. We understand the investigative process is not a legal one. We understand that if we disagree, we can make the process a legal one with a civil case. When we all agree to abide by rules and procedures, why would it matter if _you_ don't like the process? "we" (the programmers that are involved in participating) defined the process...
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

bob wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:
bob wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:
bob wrote:

And I don't get the objection. The ICGA was formed _by_ programmers. We wrote the rules we compete by. We accept them when we play. We understand the investigative process is not a legal one. We understand that if we disagree, we can make the process a legal one with a civil case. When we all agree to abide by rules and procedures, why would it matter if _you_ don't like the process? "we" (the programmers that are involved in participating) defined the process...
It doesn't matter if I don't like the process. It is only my opinion. However, I think that I am not the only person with an objection to the process. Perhaps the process can be reexamined to make it as fair as possible in the future.