Komodo 2.01 is out!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Re: Komodo 2.01 is out!

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi Don,

"now", it's a future new creation :-)

Have thanks for Komodo 2.0.1 Don and Larry!
I wait of the compiles by Jim and ... for sure ... I will test it next week in SWCR.

Why NOW isn't available Mark?
Should be test in one of the bigger rating lists too. Must not be the own but you should give it ... fast, very fast to us!

Thinking about it and on all of my 1.000 mails I wrote to you :-)

For Mark and Don, Larry the others Americans ... and other readers ...
Have a nice weekend!

Best
Frank
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

So far I've played 157 bullet (1') games against Rybka 3 (1 cpu) on my non-sse4 64 bit laptop using the Fritz interface and so far no problems, Komodo is four games ahead. I'm away from home so I can't test the sse4 version myself now.
Don

Post by Don »

Roger Brown wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:
Dayffd wrote:
Don wrote:We have just released the latest version of Komodo.

Get it here: http://komodochess.com

We are breaking with the usual naming convention and this will be called version 2.01 instead of the expected 1.4 - ...(snipped for brevity).

Don and Larry
Will there be a 32 bit release? (Ya ya, I know...I do need to update in a century or so. :) )
Yes, there will be a 32 bit release.
Those still running 16 bit Windows or 8 bit CP/M are out of luck, though.

Hello Dann,

I want to protest this discriminatory release!

Let me turn on the fans. These 'vac machines run hot and take up almost all of the basement...

Later.
Ok, let's do a port. Do you have a keyboard for making the punch cards?

Don
Trahald

Post by Trahald »

had sse4 version on infinite analysis for over 2 hours now and no problems here.
Russell Murray
Don

Post by Don »

mhalstern wrote:Testing it now.

What is the expected outcome of unchecking the "best line" uci option? Will this decrease the elo?
That is only for the opening book. It can use polyglot book and if you check that it will pick the highest ranked move or moves if several have the same score.

Don
Don

Post by Don »

fern wrote:Come on Don, still Komodo?

TALOS WAS THE NAME
OR Occam

Waiting 32 bits regards
fern
I was expecting to get the call from Obama with a request to change the name - but it never came. Still waiting ....
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

Wow, seems a serious improvement. After 400 games 1s + 0.1s

Code: Select all

Program                            Score     %      Elo    +   -    Draws

1 Komodo64 2.01 64 bit           : 262.5/400  65.6    3256   29  29   31.2 %
  2 Komodo64 1.3 JA                : 137.5/400  34.4    3144   29  29   31.2 %

112 +/- 29 Elo points (95% confidence) improvement in self-play, probably a little less in a gauntlet, but the new Reptilian seems the level of SF 2.01. Will leave it for more games, then a gauntlet.

Kai
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Don wrote:
fern wrote:Come on Don, still Komodo?

TALOS WAS THE NAME
OR Occam

Waiting 32 bits regards
fern
I was expecting to get the call from Obama with a request to change the name - but it never came. Still waiting ....
:lol:

Don,you're very naughty :lol:
Thanks for the great release :D
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Dayffd

Post by Dayffd »

Don wrote:
Roger Brown wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:
Dayffd wrote:
Don wrote:We have just released the latest version of Komodo.

Get it here: http://komodochess.com

We are breaking with the usual naming convention and this will be called version 2.01 instead of the expected 1.4 - ...(snipped for brevity).

Don and Larry
Will there be a 32 bit release? (Ya ya, I know...I do need to update in a century or so. :) )
Yes, there will be a 32 bit release.
Those still running 16 bit Windows or 8 bit CP/M are out of luck, though.

Hello Dann,

I want to protest this discriminatory release!

Let me turn on the fans. These 'vac machines run hot and take up almost all of the basement...

Later.
Ok, let's do a port. Do you have a keyboard for making the punch cards?

Don
:lol: !
David S.
Don

Post by Don »

Laskos wrote:Wow, seems a serious improvement. After 400 games 1s + 0.1s

Code: Select all

Program                            Score     %      Elo    +   -    Draws

1 Komodo64 2.01 64 bit           : 262.5/400  65.6    3256   29  29   31.2 %
  2 Komodo64 1.3 JA                : 137.5/400  34.4    3144   29  29   31.2 %

112 +/- 29 Elo points (95% confidence) improvement in self-play, probably a little less in a gauntlet, but the new Reptilian seems the level of SF 2.01. Will leave it for more games, then a gauntlet.

Kai
We believe it is over 100 ELO but it does not always come out the way we think :-)

Komodo 1.3 was supposed to be about 50 ELO in our private testing but when it came out it was much less.

I think the Stockfish team also expected a lot more with version 2.1. It could be because we are all forced to test pretty fast to get statistical confidence in any changes.

We now test more against foreign opponents than we used to (although we have always done some of that) and we have gradually increased out time control to give us a better picture of how we will do at "real" time controls.

Because Komodo is now so much stronger we can no longer handicap the programs we play against which also means it takes a lot longer to test. But I think increasing the time and using foreign opponents more has been a benefit and gives us a better picture of the actual ELO gain despite the fact that increases our resource burden.

Some things we observed: Critter is exceptionally strong at time controls less than 1 minute per game and so is Robbolito. Relative to these programs Stockfish does not look so good until the time control increases, then it looks better. Critter appears to be the least scalable of the programs we test against, but it's difficult to say that for sure, we are extrapolating from out own tests and results we see from rating lists. We believe our program scales very well and we also think Stockfish is exceptional in this area.

We would like to test against Houdini too and it would be the last program we could reasonably handicap to advantage. However we develop and test on Linux because it is has much better behavior for massive testing, but there is no Linux version of Houdini. We can run the 32 bit version using wine but that throws away a lot of the benefit (although the 32 bit version is still stronger than Komodo and Stockfish, at least for now.) But we get crashes and time losses for Houdini.

We have observed that as the programs get stronger, fast time control tests are becoming less reliable predictors of strength. The correlation is still quite high most of the time, but not always. There are some things that clearly test well at game in 3 seconds but test poorly at game in 1 minute and it never used to be that way for us.

Don