Puzzle with mate scores in TT

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

micron

Puzzle with mate scores in TT

Post by micron »

My engine has two compile-time options for treating mate scores in the TT.

1. Standard adjustments for ply.

Code: Select all

Reading from TT:
if ( score > MATESCORE - MAXPLIES ) 
  score -= ply; 
else if ( score < -MATESCORE + MAXPLIES ) 
  score += ply; 

Saving in TT&#58;
  score += ply; 
  score -= ply; 
... save score and scoreType in TT...
2. Mate scores converted to bounds.
http://web.archive.org/web/200404270147 ... tehash.htm

Reading from TT&#58; 
No adjustment.

Saving in TT&#58;
  &#123; 
    if ( scoreType == UPPERBOUND ) return; // don't save
    score = MATESCORE - MAXPLIES; 
    scoreType = LOWERBOUND; 
  &#125; 
  &#123; 
    if ( scoreType == LOWERBOUND ) return; // don't save
    score = -MATESCORE + MAXPLIES; 
    scoreType = UPPERBOUND; 
  &#125;
The puzzle is that in my engine the nonstandard option #2 is much stronger (around 100 Elo) than #1.
It seems implausible that option #2 is "really" better, because in that case everyone would be using it.
More likely I have a bug (perhaps relating to scoreType for mate scores) that is rendered harmless by option #2. I am however, unable to see such a bug and would welcome ideas/suggestions how to proceed.

Robert P.
Daniel Shawul

Re: Puzzle with mate scores in TT

Post by Daniel Shawul »

As you said, case (1) may have a bug with mate scoring which could make it prefer longer mates eg. mate in 20 over mate in 1. Look at the games and see if it has problems with finishing off mates... Your mate scoring seems to be a bit different from mine so I am not sure if it helps but here is what I do.

In search with 0 legal moves.

return   -MATE_SCORE + ply    .......... &#40;1&#41;
TT storing : neutralize the ply factor out (do the opposite of (1))

if&#40;score > MATE_SCORE&#41;                 .............&#40;2&#41;
 		score += &#40;ply + 1&#41;;
 else if&#40;score < -MATE_SCORE&#41; 
		score -=  &#40;ply + 1&#41;;
TT probe : bring back the ply factor (do the opposite of (2))

if&#40;score > MATE_SCORE&#41; 
				score -= &#40;ply + 1&#41;;
regards
Daniel
micron

Post by micron »

Daniel Shawul wrote:
Look at the games and see if it has problems with finishing off mates.
Thanks for the suggestion. Alas, it has so far proved frustrating instead of enlightening.
...here is what I do.
In search with 0 legal moves.

return   -MATE_SCORE + ply    .......... &#40;1&#41;
Agreed.
TT storing : neutralize the ply factor out (do the opposite of (1))

if&#40;score > MATE_SCORE&#41;                 .............&#40;2&#41;
		score -=  &#40;ply + 1&#41;;
TT probe : bring back the ply factor (do the opposite of (2))

if&#40;score > MATE_SCORE&#41; 
				score -= &#40;ply + 1&#41;;
Wouldn't that mean that you never adjust the score? The only value greater than MATE_SCORE is INFINITY, which won't be stored in the TT.

Also, why adjust by (ply + 1) instead of ply? The returned score, after storage and retrieval, would be the same in both cases.

Robert P.
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

Oops I messed up while trying to simplify the code for only the mating case...
See i do this adjustment for bitbase scores as well, which are scored much lower than mate ofcourse.
To prefer shorter wins, a lot of heuristic which considers material, position of pieces , and also the PLY etc..
The PLY factor is used is not 1 as is in the mating case, rather a weighted value(x40) is used for it not to be overwhelmed by other terms.
Existing scorpio code follows

Search with 0 legal:

score = -MATE_SCORE + WIN_PLY * &#40;ply + 1&#41;;
and for bitbases

if&#40;score > 0&#41;
						score -= WIN_PLY * &#40;ply + 1&#41;;
					else if&#40;score < 0&#41;
						score += WIN_PLY * &#40;ply + 1&#41;;
TT store:

if&#40;score > WIN_SCORE&#41; 
				score += WIN_PLY * &#40;ply + 1&#41;;
			else if&#40;score < -WIN_SCORE&#41; 
				score -= WIN_PLY * &#40;ply + 1&#41;;
Here WIN_SCORE = 3000 and MATE_SCORE = 20000.
WIN_SCORE is the minimum winning score. WIN_PLY = 40 , if i use the standard factor 1 it will have difficulty detecting shorter bitbase wins..
The (ply + 1) could as well be (ply). I am kind of rusty after some time off :)

Well I hope I did not confuse you more.

regards,
Daniel
micron

Post by micron »

The puzzle is that in my engine the nonstandard option #2 is much stronger (around 100 Elo) than #1.
It seems implausible that option #2 is "really" better, because in that case everyone would be using it.
I tracked this down to some evil effect of TT mate-scores from previous searches. With the standard adjustments #1 for ply, simply clearing the TT between moves removes the anomaly, giving 100+ Elo boost. Of course I don't want to do that; for one thing clearing a huge TT is so slow that matches are impossible at very short time control.

Instead I now test if a mate-score derives from an earlier search (easy because my TT struct has a moveClock field) and if so, ignore it.
lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Post by lucasart »

micron wrote:My engine has two compile-time options for treating mate scores in the TT.

Reading from TT&#58;
  score -= ply; 
  score += ply; 

Saving in TT&#58;
  score += ply; 
  score -= ply; 

Reading from TT&#58; 
No adjustment.

Saving in TT&#58;
  &#123; 
    if ( scoreType == UPPERBOUND ) return; // don't save
    score = MATESCORE - MAXPLIES; 
    scoreType = LOWERBOUND; 
  &#125; 
  &#123; 
    if ( scoreType == LOWERBOUND ) return; // don't save
    score = -MATESCORE + MAXPLIES; 
    scoreType = UPPERBOUND; 
  &#125;
More likely I have a bug (perhaps relating to scoreType for mate scores) that is rendered harmless by option #2. I am however, unable to see such a bug and would welcome ideas/suggestions how to proceed.

Robert P.
TTable are subtile. I coded a chess engine, so I know the hurdles. After many failures, I realised that this is the right way to proceed:

* lookup the TT. At PV nodes only use it for move ordering, but don't return the TT score (because of draw by 3/50 move rules or mate situations).
* At non PV nodes, return the TT score if you know it creates a cutoff (using the info of score exact lboudn or ubound and the current window alpha,alpha+1=beta)
* when you've found the best move, save it in the TT, and put the info about whether the score is exact lbound or ubound.

Have a look at Fruit 2.1 source code for a good source code that is relatively simple to understand.
micron

Post by micron »

lucasart wrote:

TTable are subtile. I coded a chess engine, so I know the hurdles. After many failures, I realised that this is the right way to proceed:

* lookup the TT. At PV nodes only use it for move ordering, but don't return the TT score (because of draw by 3/50 move rules or mate situations).
* At non PV nodes, return the TT score if you know it creates a cutoff (using the info of score exact lboudn or ubound and the current window alpha,alpha+1=beta)
* when you've found the best move, save it in the TT, and put the info about whether the score is exact lbound or ubound.
Yes indeed, ignoring the score at PV nodes completely removes the anomaly. I can now use the standard adjustment for ply.
Robert P.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

lucasart wrote:* lookup the TT. At PV nodes only use it for move ordering, but don't return the TT score (because of draw by 3/50 move rules or mate situations).
I have heard claims that this hurts the engine very much in positions like Fine #70. How long does it take your engine to solve that?
rjgibert

Post by rjgibert »

micron wrote: I tracked this down to some evil effect of TT mate-scores from previous searches. With the standard adjustments #1 for ply, simply clearing the TT between moves removes the anomaly, giving 100+ Elo boost. Of course I don't want to do that; for one thing clearing a huge TT is so slow that matches are impossible at very short time control.
Clearing the hash table between moves is not slow. At the beginning of a search, simply changing the 2 zobrist hash codes for turn to move effectively guarantees that nothing from a previous search gets used. There are others ways to accomplish the same thing very cheaply. This is just one.

But of course, you don't want to have to do this as you said.
Evert

Post by Evert »

lucasart wrote: * lookup the TT. At PV nodes only use it for move ordering, but don't return the TT score (because of draw by 3/50 move rules or mate situations).
I've seen that claim before and I've never understood why it would be necessary to ignore cut-offs from the transposition table in PV nodes (other than to get the complete PV).
For the three-fold repetition and the 50-move rule you have to be a little bit careful (I indeed don't allow cutoffs from the TT if the half-move counter is > 80 or so), but what's the problem with mate scores? I mean, they have to be corrected in some way for the distance to the root, but that's not too difficult.
What's the problem exactly?