"Too many round names" error in SCID

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Volker Pittlik
Full name: Volker Pittlik

"Too many round names" error in SCID

Post by Volker Pittlik »

When trying to import all CCRL 40/4 games I get the error from the subject line.

When trying to import the whole file SCID just crashes here. By trying file by file it appears when importing one file to the clipbase and then copying the clipbase to the database with the other games.

Does that happen to someone else?

vp
Kurt Utzinger

Re: "Too many round names" error in SCID

Post by Kurt Utzinger »

Volker Pittlik wrote:When trying to import all CCRL 40/4 games I get the error from the subject line.

When trying to import the whole file SCID just crashes here. By trying file by file it appears when importing one file to the clipbase and then copying the clipbase to the database with the other games.

vp
Hi Volker
How many games are intended to be imported?
Kurt
Volker Pittlik

Post by Volker Pittlik »

Kurt Utzinger wrote:
Volker Pittlik wrote:When trying to import all CCRL 40/4 games I get the error from the subject line.

vp
Hi Volker
How many games are intended to be imported?
Kurt
Around 650.000. However, the error occurs after around 250.000. Under Linux I handle Scid databases with ~1.5 million games in it, and also did so in Windows. But they don't have so much round names. I can locate the error message in SCID source code, so I thiink it's a SCID error.

Volker
stevenaaus

Post by stevenaaus »

Any chance you're using 4.2 ? This version tried to implement 64 bit file I/O, which subsequently got reverted in 4.2.2 because it was broke.
scid-4.2
==========
- Scid has a limit of 16 millions games per base. Before reaching this limit, the size of the game file could exceed 2
GB, which was not possible on 32 bit systems. So now some of Scid's IO handle large files (64 bit I/O system calls even
on 32 bit systems) (but the limit for the game file is still 4 GB, given that games offsets are saved as unsigned inte
gers). So now it is possible to have bases that effectively contain up to 16 M games.

scid-4.2.2
==========
This maintenance release reverts to 32 bits file I/O. Large file handling across many platforms seems a bit hard too ac
hieve ...
Volker Pittlik

Post by Volker Pittlik »

stevenaaus wrote:Any chance you're using 4.2 ? This version tried to implement 64 bit file I/O, which subsequently got reverted in 4.2.2 because it was broke...
No it's 4.2.2. Maybe someone can try to import this: http://www.computerchess.org.uk/ccrl/40 ... %5D.pgn.7z and look if the error occurs for him. (Attention: it is a huge download!).

Regards

vp
stevenaaus

Post by stevenaaus »

Hmmm... opening or importing with CVS i get
Error saving game in database.
about a third of the way through. I'm not a huge DB person... have you successfully imported PGNs of this size before ?
Volker Pittlik

Post by Volker Pittlik »

stevenaaus wrote:Hmmm... opening or importing with CVS i get
Error saving game in database.
Yes exactly. If you now would do it in smaller chunks via the clipboard you will get the same error message as I got.

Thank you. I think the error is confirmed.

Volker
viriathus

Post by viriathus »

Hi, I tried with CVS version, Linux Arch 64 bits:

Code: Select all

$ pgnscid CCRL-404.\[674612\].pgn
ERROR: Too many round names!  The maximum allowable number is 262143

$grep Round CCRL-404.\[674612\].pgn |sort|uniq|wc -l
674612 differents rounds!! :o
stevenaaus

Post by stevenaaus »

Time to take it to the mailing list :shock: i think.
I doubt Shane envisaged huge computer tournaments (with numerous round names) when he coded the thing.
Volker Pittlik

Post by Volker Pittlik »

stevenaaus wrote:Time to take it to the mailing list :shock: i think.
I doubt Shane envisaged huge computer tournaments (with numerous round names) when he coded the thing.
I send him a message using pm. Maybe it's a good idea if someone posts it on the mailing list. I haven't subscibe it.

vp