RE chessbase light

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Albert Silver

Re: RE chessbase light

Post by Albert Silver »

Nimzovik wrote:You are arguing against backward compatibility? Seriously. Even cars are required to have parts for 10 years. CB 8 was not that , in terms of age, long ago. I can not even use Fritz 8 in CB 8. It is a typical mindset not unlike Microsoft (le gasp!!) that everyone must buy new programs and or hardware minimally every two years to line their pockets. Hmmmm..........
I completely agree with you. I just wrote a letter complaining to Chessbase that it was outrageous their new Chessbase 11 was not backward compatible with MS DOS 5.0 which I use to this day as I see no need to line the pockets of those capitalists by updating my software.

I also demanded they ship it in floppy disks.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
alpha123

Post by alpha123 »

Albert Silver wrote:
SzG wrote:
Albert Silver wrote: What made you think they were giving away a fully functional DB program for free?
The old CBLight (version 6 or something like that) of several years ago did have full functionality, only the size of the database was limited to 8000 games.
Aha. So you were assuming this was the same as the version from the 90s. Gotcha.
Any particular reason you think they should limit functionality more?

Peter
Nimzovik

Post by Nimzovik »

Albert: Your exquisite sarcasm is entertaining. :lol:

However I have indeed expressed sentiments that others seem to have echoed. Take it for what is's worth.

Nuff said.
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

alpha123 wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
SzG wrote:
Albert Silver wrote: What made you think they were giving away a fully functional DB program for free?
The old CBLight (version 6 or something like that) of several years ago did have full functionality, only the size of the database was limited to 8000 games.
Aha. So you were assuming this was the same as the version from the 90s. Gotcha.
Any particular reason you think they should limit functionality more?

Peter
They didn't limit it more, they changed it. I just find it odd that he would be 'furious' that more than 10 years later, things are not the same as they were before. Especially in software. Back when I worked with Convekta, we made two CA Lights, one based on CA6 and the other on CA7, and they had different limitations.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

SzG wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
SzG wrote:
I was assuming I could at least try all features. I can't.
I think they changed it to be like Acrobat Reader frankly. I never used it for anything except that anyhow, so it is a non-issue for me. You can always play around with it, and upgrade to premium if you like it. Personally, I thought it is a good alternative for someone who is not willing (or able) to get the full monty. I think it supports access to the online DB, which is a big CB feature, which also means access to it while on Playchess.
bhandelman

Post by bhandelman »

Nimzovik wrote:You are arguing against backward compatibility? Seriously. Even cars are required to have parts for 10 years. CB 8 was not that , in terms of age, long ago. I can not even use Fritz 8 in CB 8. It is a typical mindset not unlike Microsoft (le gasp!!) that everyone must buy new programs and or hardware minimally every two years to line their pockets. Hmmmm..........
Seriously? You're not talking about 2 years here, you're talking about 10 years since ChessBase 8 came out. I'd be shocked if you could find an OS X or Linux application that would still work 10 years later without being recompiled, this certainly isn't a Microsoft issue. You asking them to remain backward compatible with software 10 years old is a bit unreasonable. It would force them to limit many things in functionality and compatibility with modern versions of Windows, and I think we would all prefer the newer versions.
Benjamin Handelman
ICC/FICS/Playchess - bhandelman
Nimzovik

Post by Nimzovik »

bhandelman wrote:
Seriously? You're not talking about 2 years here, you're talking about 10 years since ChessBase 8 came out. I'd be shocked if you could find an OS X or Linux application that would still work 10 years later without being recompiled, this certainly isn't a Microsoft issue. You asking them to remain backward compatible with software 10 years old is a bit unreasonable. It would force them to limit many things in functionality and compatibility with modern versions of Windows, and I think we would all prefer the newer versions.
Indeed. You succinctly delineate the proverbial status quo as determined by chessbase and precedented by Microsoft. I lobby for more. You are happy with the status quo are you? That works for you? You are precisley right. That works for you. I assert that possibly making fritz engines compatible with older database products -- to the extent possible -- to not be above their intelligence. I reiterate that the 64 bit engines not being usable is indeed understandable as it is a radical change in the architecture. However I would set expectations of a flagship product like their database programs to offer more continuity. Is it possible to offer updates to make fritz engine products, that are non 64 bit, compatible? This is really way too outrageous for you to accept? If so then I accept that is the extent of your reach. Please accept my perspective for what it is. Simple enough really....
Kurt Utzinger

Post by Kurt Utzinger »

Nimzovik wrote:Was not that the case tho Kurt? Perhaps I do not recall accurately, however I thought that the old CB light allowed something like 98 % percent of the features however it was limited to a small database. It is somewhat difficult to assess a program and then not be able to test the features. Perhaps chess base would be better served if it had a time limited trial mechanism ...say for 2 weeks.
Hi Alex
I think you are wrong. Please have a look at
http://www.chessbase.de/support/support.asp?pid=647
I had CBLight2007 but could not do much useful things with it and therefore had to buy an activation key to the premium version.
Kurt
Kurt Utzinger

Post by Kurt Utzinger »

menniepals wrote:Scid plus Houdini and Stockfish is good enough.
You are right, SCID is a great program. I am running SCID 4.2.2 under
Linux Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and are using the following engines for analyses
purposes

- Deep Shredder 12 Linux
- Fruit 051103 Linux
- Spike 1.2 Linux
- Stockfish 1.9.1 Linux
- Toga II 1.2 Linux

and this is good enough for me. SCID is very fast and you can do (almost) all things that can ChessBase do.
Kurt
alpha123

Post by alpha123 »

Albert Silver wrote:
SzG wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
SzG wrote:
I was assuming I could at least try all features. I can't.
I think they changed it to be like Acrobat Reader frankly. I never used it for anything except that anyhow, so it is a non-issue for me. You can always play around with it, and upgrade to premium if you like it. Personally, I thought it is a good alternative for someone who is not willing (or able) to get the full monty. I think it supports access to the online DB, which is a big CB feature, which also means access to it while on Playchess.
I can't determine if I like it if I can't do anything with it!
bhandelman wrote:
Well, that's how it works with Java. Things written for the very first versions of Java (c.a. 1998) still run under Java 6 and still will run under Java 7. Without recompiling or modification of any sort.

Peter