ChessGUI is back.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Matthias Gemuh

ChessGUI is back.

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

ChessGUI is back.

I almost shutdown the ChessGUI because of 2 types of crashes:

1) ChessGUI was allowing a third-party program (Pgn4Web) to access files while ChessGUI was still writing to them.
That bug was fixed in ChessGUI 0.200, making ChessGUI usable for online transmission of games.

2) ChessGUI (since engine CPU load is being measured) could crash after thousands or even just hundreds of games.
This ChessGUI 0.203 fixes the very elusive bug.

I therefore strongly recommend updating to ChessGUI 0.203 ! I consider it rock-solid.

Matthias.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
Roger Brown

Re: ChessGUI is back.

Post by Roger Brown »

Hello Matthias,

Oh come on now!

Even when you absolutely had to give your gui a rest because you were disenchanted with the lack of bugs in it (that was supposed to be another break too) you carried the version number from 0.19X to 2.03 and counting.

So when were you gone to be back?

:-)

I hope you are having fun with it my friend. Good to see that the creative urges are tormenting you still.

Of course, until it looks like the Chessbase gui it will not quite have made it to the big time....

Later.
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

Roger Brown wrote:... you carried the version number from 0.19X to 2.03 and counting.

..., until it looks like the Chessbase gui it will not quite have made it to the big time....

Later.

Hi Roger,

2.03 ?? :D ?? :roll:

I am only dreaming of even 0.5 !!! :wink:

Anyway, now that crashes have vanished, there's hope that a few more features shall be added.

Best,
Matthias.
Roger Brown

Post by Roger Brown »

Matthias Gemuh wrote:
Roger Brown wrote:... you carried the version number from 0.19X to 2.03 and counting.

..., until it looks like the Chessbase gui it will not quite have made it to the big time....

Later.

Hi Roger,

Anyway, now that crashes have vanished, there's hope that a few more features shall be added.

Best,
Matthias.

Hello Matthias,

Ah, look at what the devil made me do.

Later.
Christopher Conkie

Post by Christopher Conkie »

Roger Brown wrote:
Matthias Gemuh wrote:

Later.

Hi Roger,

Best,
Matthias.

Hello Matthias,

Ah, look at what the devil made me do.

Later.
You called?

:)

Sooner

Chris
Gregory Owett

Post by Gregory Owett »

Hi Matthias,

I'm using your excellent GUI for a long time. Version 199a accepts Fischer's clock, but not the 203! At least to do something special?

When I set the time at 5'+3 ", it says 300 and not 300+3. Why?
Thank you for your light!

Gregory
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

Gregory Owett wrote:Hi Matthias,

I'm using your excellent GUI for a long time. Version 199a accepts Fischer's clock, but not the 203! At least to do something special?

Gregory
Try 5' + 3000" :D (increments are now in ms).

Matthias.
Gregory Owett

Post by Gregory Owett »

Matthias Gemuh wrote:
Gregory Owett wrote:Hi Matthias,

Gregory
Try 5' + 3000" :D (increments are now in ms).

Matthias.
Good idea :-) :lol:
Thanks, going well !

Gregory
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

ChessGUI 0.204 is a first attempt at Html.

Matthias.
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Roger Brown wrote:I hope you are having fun with it my friend. Good to see that the creative urges are tormenting you still.
Agreed.
Of course, until it looks like the Chessbase gui it will not quite have made it to the big time....
Disagree here. I think it doesn't have the same purpose so it is unimportant. It offers things the CB GUI does not. In DF12 GUI I cannot run gauntlets of more than 256 different games (128 positions inverting colors), nor can I run games using fractions of a second. Note that this isn't just interesting for massive Eng-Eng matches, it is also interesting for time handicapped matches. Ex: suppose you are a 2000 player wanting to play a g/15 match against Rybka, and you don't want it dumbed down, just limited. In the Fritz GUI there is no way to have it play game in 10 seconds (for example).
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."