hardware doubling number for Crafty

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

bob

hardware doubling number for Crafty

Post by bob »

Since a couple of posters keep hijacking every thread, I thought I would at least publish the just-completed test on 23.4.

I repeated the same idea, although only for 1/2, that I did for 10.18. If you remember, with 10.18, cutting the search time by 1/2 (leaving opponents at normal time, which simulates cutting cpu speed by 50%) reduced 10.18 by 70 Elo, and halving that reduced it by another 80.

For 23.4, here are the two numbers:

Code: Select all

Crafty-23.4-1        2666    4    4 30000   61%  2576   20% 
    Crafty-23.4-2        2664    4    4 30000   61%  2576   21% 
    Crafty-23.4-3        2567    3    3 30000   50%  2576   21% 
23.4-1 and 23.4-2 are my normal "control" runs, normal everything. 23.4-3 was played using a search time of 1/2 the normal value, slowing the program effectively by 50%. Cost was almost exactly 100 Elo. Very possibly caused by the difference in branching factor between 23.4 and 10.18. 23.4 is pretty close to 2 or even better at times. 10.18 is around 5 for the few positions I tried, could be a little more at times. For the starting position, it is about 5, where 23.4 is right on 2. So for 23.14 we get a whole ply, for 10.18, a fraction of a ply that is < .5...

I did not do the 1/4 speed run (yet). Got side-tracked trying to get gnuchess 5.07 to run on the cluster. Seems (so far) it is not quite protocol version 2 complaint, refusing to send "move xyz" and insisting on "my move is xyz". I don't want to hack my referee so am looking at gnu to see if I somehow overlooked something. It is responding to the protover 2 correctly, but it isn't sending the move correctly...
nepossiver

Re: hardware doubling number for Crafty

Post by nepossiver »

At the winboard forum you can find a updated GnuChess. As Michel Van der Bergh did a lot of bug-fixes, and he was also involved in Xboard protocol discussions with HGM, maybe this version is more compliant than the original. Which one did you use?

His release is at:

http://alpha.uhasselt.be/Research/Algeb ... s-release/
bob

Post by bob »

nepossiver wrote:At the winboard forum you can find a updated GnuChess. As Michel Van der Bergh did a lot of bug-fixes, and he was also involved in Xboard protocol discussions with HGM, maybe this version is more compliant than the original. Which one did you use?

His release is at:

http://alpha.uhasselt.be/Research/Algeb ... s-release/
I am trying 5.07. I finally got it to play games as white, but it won't play games as black correctly. For some reason as black, the first move takes a ridiculous amount of time and it loses every last game. Had to change the "my move is:" string to "move " in a couple of places to get it to play at all.

I'll give his a whirl as it is a pain in the a** to work on that program. Not exactly the most logically written piece of code I have ever worked on.
nepossiver

Post by nepossiver »

Did Michel's GnuChess worked fine? I think he would be interested to know if there are still bugs in his version, I could post on the Winboard forum about this tread - he checks here, but I don't know if he will find this thread by chance.
bob

Post by bob »

nepossiver wrote:Did Michel's GnuChess worked fine? I think he would be interested to know if there are still bugs in his version, I could post on the Winboard forum about this tread - he checks here, but I don't know if he will find this thread by chance.
I downloaded it, but have not gotten it to work yet. But I have not spent a lot of time to see what is wrong, either.