Include Crafty with Winboard package?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Include Crafty with WinBoard package?

Yes
47%
No
53%

Total votes: 19

jhaglund

Include Crafty with Winboard package?

Post by jhaglund »

Vote to include or not include Crafty in the Winboard package.
jdart

Re: Include Crafty with Winboard package?

Post by jdart »

Winboard is GPL and Crafty is not.

It is not a big deal to me, but many software sites will not host non-GPL software or will want to put it in a separate repository.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Well, that in itself would be no problem. They also don't want to host the current bundle. We cannot even host it at GNU, as long as we bundle with timestamp and timeseal. As I consider these a must in any WinBoard bundle, we only distribute sources from GNU.

Of course WinBoard is not intended to be a vector for spreading someones favorite engine, so this whole vote is a bit silly anyway. The only reason to include engines in the WinBoard bundle is to demonstrate the capabilities of WinBoard. Crafty does a particularly bad job at this; it only demonstrates its own capabilities. But those can never be an argument to bundle it with WinBoard. If people want Crafty, they should download a Crafty package, that nicely installs it.
mariaclara

Post by mariaclara »

OMG !

so it's not included anymore?

( hey, like wow. I'm really outta touch.......

too much outdoors/fresh air , I guess ....... :roll: :wink: )

................. Mu Shin ..........................
mhull
Full name: Matthew Hull

Post by mhull »

mariaclara wrote:OMG !

so it's not included anymore?

( hey, like wow. I'm really outta touch.......
Gnuchess is usually bundled with [WX]board, not crafty.
Matthew Hull
hgm

Post by hgm »

You are also out of touch... :lol:

Currently it is bundled with Fairy-Max, Pulsar and Fruit. (The latter two optional.)

And those that really like exotic things can optionally select HaQiKi D, Elephant Eye, or Joker80. 8-)
Michel

Post by Michel »

Fairy-Max, Pulsar and Fruit.
Wouldn't it be more sensible to replace Fruit by Stockfish? Stockfish is much stronger (I assume the point of including Fruit is having a strong engine).
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Michel wrote:
Fairy-Max, Pulsar and Fruit.
Wouldn't it be more sensible to replace Fruit by Stockfish? Stockfish is much stronger (I assume the point of including Fruit is having a strong engine).
Here's an idea:

Have a checkbox of the engines you want.

After checking all the boxes you like, web requests collect the engines and install them.
hgm

Post by hgm »

Dann Corbit wrote:Here's an idea:

Have a checkbox of the engines you want.

After checking all the boxes you like, web requests collect the engines and install them.
That is a great idea, and originally how I wanted to do it. But nobody knew how to make a web installer, I least of all. So we are stuck with a simple nsis script. We had someone who knew how to do that.

My vision for the future is this, however:
1) The nsis installer will also bundle an InstallTool with WinBoard.
2) When invoked, this InstallTool will start with downloading a descption file from you favorite maintainer website. (E.g. WBEC, RWBC, as you configure it)
3) This description file will contain a list of engines, (engine versions), together with info like:

Code: Select all

URL where it is hosted, 
installation folder, 
required command line to unpack the download, 
command line to run the engine, 
author,
country,
Elo rating,
supported variants,
remarks
The user will see this info displayed in the InstallTool window in columnar form, and can sort it on any column.
4) The user can click on an engine line to download and install the engine, in the winboard.ini or PSWBTM engine database, or both, as the InstallTool settings indicate.

The idea is that the people who now habitually keep track of the existence and wherabouts of engines, would volunteer as maintainers, and cast the results of their efforts in a machine-readable format for the InstallTool.

But, unfortunately, all this has to wait until I have finished my Shogi engine... :oops:
Last edited by hgm on Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hgm

Post by hgm »

Michel wrote:Wouldn't it be more sensible to replace Fruit by Stockfish? Stockfish is much stronger (I assume the point of including Fruit is having a strong engine).
Strong and a UCI example. Stockfish fits both, so I agree. But some people just can't take "no" for an answer, and even start polls in a pathetic attempt to get their way... :lol: