A chess wish

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

kgburcham

A chess wish

Post by kgburcham »

I wish Houdini, Fire, and Stockfish would run 12 threads.

kgburcham
Houdini

Re: A chess wish

Post by Houdini »

Your wish can be granted :).
I can compile a 12-thread x64 Houdini development version, optionally with Large Page support, if you like.

Robert
jpqy

Post by jpqy »

Why not directly to for example 512 cores/threads version!!

Or a automatic core/thread setting!
kgburcham

Post by kgburcham »

Houdini wrote:Your wish can be granted :).
I can compile a 12-thread x64 Houdini development version, optionally with Large Page support, if you like.

Robert
ok thanks. i will post results once you tell me it is ready.

I noticed some smp programs go immediately to 100% usage in task manager on all threads and stay at exactly 100%. some programs do not. Some will show it is using 12 threads 100% of the time but not 100% of each core.

kgburcham
Houdini

Post by Houdini »

PM with download link and some additional information sent.

Robert
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

kgburcham wrote:
Houdini wrote:Your wish can be granted :).

Robert
ok thanks. i will post results once you tell me it is ready.

I noticed some smp programs go immediately to 100% usage in task manager on all threads and stay at exactly 100%. some programs do not. Some will show it is using 12 threads 100% of the time but not 100% of each core.

kgburcham
Some programs may have some threads waiting with a "loop" (busy but acturally doing nothing) and others (like gaviota) wait without using the CPU. That is why CPU usage may not be a good measure of efficiency. A car waiting in red light with the engine on or off is still waiting. How the NPS scales up may give a better idea, but still... The best will be time to reach a certain depth in several positions.

Miguel