Poll: Problems with iPhone Glaurung 2.0?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

How well does iPhone Glaurung 2.0 work for you?

Too buggy, unusable
No votes
Usable, but frequent crashes and/or illegal moves
6%
Occasional crashes and/or illegal moves
25%
No problems
69%

Total votes: 16

Tord Romstad

Poll: Problems with iPhone Glaurung 2.0?

Post by Tord Romstad »

I have spent many hours this weekend in a very frustrating, but fruitless bug hunt: I've exchanged several e-mails with a user who experiences constant crashes and illegal moves, with such frequency that the program is completely unusable. He's not a troll, but a very polite, knowledgable and helpful user. I have every reason to believe that the bugs he describes are real and serious. Nevertheless, after spending lots of time playing games at exactly the setting he uses (strength set to 1100, games at 5 seconds/move, other settings the defaults, frequent takebacks), I have not been able to find any problems whatsoever. Everything works smoothly, with no crashes or illegal moves.

The aim of this poll is to discover just how widespread this problem is. I would also appreciate if those of you who have problems could describe their nature and let me know if you have noticed any sort of pattern as to when the crashes and/or illegal moves appear.
gladius
Full name: Gary Linscott

Re: Poll: Problems with iPhone Glaurung 2.0?

Post by gladius »

I have a 3GS, and haven't noticed any problems at all. Played through a few games, but at reduced strength :).
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

gladius wrote:I have a 3GS, and haven't noticed any problems at all. Played through a few games, but at reduced strength :).
Great -- thanks for voting!

I'm a little worried that this thread has been visited more than sixty times, but that only four have voted. I hope people don't misunderstand and think that I am only interested in hearing from those who experience bugs and problems. Because I want to discover how widespread the problem is, it is important that those who run Glaurung 2 without problems also vote in the poll.
Ralph Stoesser

Post by Ralph Stoesser »

Touch 3G, no problems so far.
alpha123

Post by alpha123 »

Tord Romstad wrote:
gladius wrote:I have a 3GS, and haven't noticed any problems at all. Played through a few games, but at reduced strength :).

I'm a little worried that this thread has been visited more than sixty times, but that only four have voted. I hope people don't misunderstand and think that I am only interested in hearing from those who experience bugs and problems. Because I want to discover how widespread the problem is, it is important that those who run Glaurung 2 without problems also vote in the poll.
Maybe only 4 of those 6 sixty have iPhones. :P

Perhaps the problem guy's iPhone has some sort of virus?

Peter
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

alpha123 wrote:
Tord Romstad wrote:

Maybe only 4 of those 6 sixty have iPhones. :P
Perhaps, but in that case, I wonder why they bothered to look at this thread at all. It's theoretically possible that a lot of people are considering to buy an iPhone, but want to make sure Glaurung is 100% stable first, but somehow I don't think this is very likely.

:wink:
Perhaps the problem guy's iPhone has some sort of virus?

I don't think so. I haven't heard of such a virus, and it would be extremely strange if any kind of virus could give symptoms like those he describes.
Jaap Weidemann

Post by Jaap Weidemann »

Tord Romstad wrote:I have spent many hours this weekend in a very frustrating, but fruitless bug hunt: I've exchanged several e-mails with a user who experiences constant crashes and illegal moves, with such frequency that the program is completely unusable. He's not a troll, but a very polite, knowledgable and helpful user. I have every reason to believe that the bugs he describes are real and serious. Nevertheless, after spending lots of time playing games at exactly the setting he uses (strength set to 1100, games at 5 seconds/move, other settings the defaults, frequent takebacks), I have not been able to find any problems whatsoever. Everything works smoothly, with no crashes or illegal moves.

The aim of this poll is to discover just how widespread this problem is. I would also appreciate if those of you who have problems could describe their nature and let me know if you have noticed any sort of pattern as to when the crashes and/or illegal moves appear.
Hei Tord

Thanks a lot for the new Glaurung! No problems whatsoever on my 3G 16GB. Upon downloading the new version I abruptly realised that I still owe you a postcard. It will be on its later this week. To make amends for the late arrival I offer my help, in whichever capacity needed, to hunt down the bug ;-).

Jaap
http://www.weidchess.com/
MDRedwood

Post by MDRedwood »

Dear Tord,
Only played with it once so far (3GS, OS 4.0)-(against Rybka 2.2). It was fine right up to the last few moves (it was losing, Rybka just about to promote a pawn) and it crashed.
Regards, Mike
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

I haven't used it for a while and did not yet install the latest version (2.0). But it seemed to work well and I really liked it. I did notice that once I was looking at error messages from the Iphone and the application seems to have crashed many times. Maybe when I closed the application it crashed or maybe it stayed in the background and then was terminated. Not really sure. I will try installing the latest version and see how things are. What was the exact setup that was causing the crash? I will try to duplicate it.
Mark

Post by Mark »

I played two quick games and had a crash with each one towards the end of the game. (I was losing badly in both...)

1 sec/move, show analysis, book moves, and legal moves were off, full strength (2450), permanent brain off, xboard piece set

I have the game/position that causes the crash and it's reproducible on my 3Gs iPhone. I can send it to you, if you want.

Mark

edit: I just emailed it to you.