Stockfish 1.7

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mcostalba

Stockfish 1.7

Post by mcostalba »

This is Stockfish 1.7

You can download sources + Windows binaries from:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5047625/stockfish-17-ja.zip

In this release we have deeply rewritten the search, we don't expect a big ELO increase from 1.6.X series (if any), but we consider this the base upon which to build future changes.

Indeed new search is completely untested with long time controls, so it might scale much better or much worse than 1.6 series. In our tests (at short time controls) it performs a bit better then 1.6, but nothing earth shattering.

Code: Select all

Diff stats are below:

58 files changed, 2136 insertions(+), 1901 deletions(-)

Please report any issue you may find, especially in compiling SF for different platforms. We have done our best to test the sources under as many compilers/OS as possible, but we know there are always surprises from this side.

As usual a big thank you to Jim for his optimized binaries and to the many people that reported bugs and sent patches.

Have fun
SF Team
Graham Banks

Re: Stockfish 1.7

Post by Graham Banks »

Thanks Marco, Joona and Tord. :)
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Aaron Becker

Post by Aaron Becker »

mcostalba wrote:In this release we have deeply rewritten the search, we don't expect a big ELO increase from 1.6.X series (if any), but we consider this the base upon which to build future changes.
The updated search is a very nice read. Would you be willing to share some of your thoughts on the search changes and your plans for the future? I'm especially interested in the decision to do a full evaluation at every node, the new futility matrix, and the blocking moves pruning condition in qsearch. Open source is great, but I really love hearing the perspectives of authors and the ideas behind the code.
Volker Pittlik
Full name: Volker Pittlik

Post by Volker Pittlik »

mcostalba wrote:...
Please report any issue you may find, especially in compiling SF for different platforms.
Compiles without any problem on Linux 2.6.24-27 x86_64 with gcc 4.2.4.

Thanks for this jewel.

vp
Norbert Raimund Leisner

Post by Norbert Raimund Leisner »

Maybe you should know that the older version v1.6.3 JA works with Fancy,
a special software for solving chess problems. (Popeye would be another
option, too) I have got these informations from here:

http://free.of.pl/c/ccintorun/g/fancy.htm

Norbert
jpqy

Post by jpqy »

Thank you very much...will test now :wink: :!:
Gian-Carlo Pascutto

Post by Gian-Carlo Pascutto »

Aaron Becker wrote: The updated search is a very nice read. Would you be willing to share some of your thoughts on the search changes and your plans for the future? I'm especially interested in the decision to do a full evaluation at every node, the new futility matrix, and the blocking moves pruning condition in qsearch. Open source is great, but I really love hearing the perspectives of authors and the ideas behind the code.
I can make an educated guess.

Having the full evaluation available at every node, if it can be done without a big performance impact (for example by restructuring the search) allows a multitude of extra pruning techniques to be tried.

I'm guessing they are currently trying to find the optimal parameters for those techniques, and I'd expect the next version to take a big leap.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote: I'm guessing they are currently trying to find the optimal parameters for those techniques, and I'd expect the next version to take a big leap.
Whoa! A big leap will make things very interesting at the top. :P
gbanksnz at gmail.com
sockmonkey

Post by sockmonkey »

At least on OSX, 1.7 is benching 25%-40% faster on my machine, using GCC builds.

Jeremy
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Yes it would. The commercials might not like it as much!