cutechess and libQtCore.so.4

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Daniel Shawul

cutechess and libQtCore.so.4

Post by Daniel Shawul »

I am trying to run cutechess-cli on a linux 64 bit machine but it looks like it needs additional files (libQtCore.so.4) . I don't have Qt and can not install anything on that machine so i need other options. Isn't Qt library needed only for GUI applications ? Is there a way to download that specific so and put it on the same directory (without install) so that cutechess-cli can work ?

Thanks
Daniel
Gian-Carlo Pascutto

Re: cutechess and libQtCore.so.4

Post by Gian-Carlo Pascutto »

Qt is much more than just a GUI framework, and cutechess uses it for everything.

However, I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to install it in your homedir and link to it there.
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

Whenevery i try to use sudo i get reported to admin for transgression so no way to install it there. And the whole Qt library is 440mb or so.
But fortunately just putting the libQtCore.so.4 in the /lib directory of cutechess-cli worked ! I am setting up engines now. Hope everything goes well.

Thanks
ilari

Post by ilari »

It should work if you just copy the QtCore library to the cutechess-cli/lib/ folder and use the cutechess-cli.sh script to run the program. I have uploaded the 64-bit version of the library here: http://koti.mbnet.fi/~ilaripih/bin/libQtCore.tar.gz
So just extract its contents to your cutechess-cli/lib/ folder.

To most Linux users (those with root access) the best option is of course to install Qt via the distribution's package management system. In some distros (KDE ones) it's already installed by default.

EDIT: Well, it seems you already solved the problem.
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

Hi Illari
I still have a few problems though.
I put sorpio same directory as the cutechess script. I am getting segmentation fault.

Code: Select all

$ ./cutechess-cli.sh -fcp cmd=scorpio -scp cmd=scorpio -both tc=40/5
Started game 1 of 1
Warning: Cannot start engine "scorpio"
Warning: QObject::connect: Cannot connect (null)::debugMessage(const QString&) to GameManager::debugMessage(const QString&)
Warning: QObject::connect: Cannot connect (null)::debugMessage(const QString&) to GameManager::debugMessage(const QString&)
./cutechess-cli.sh: line 13: 26119 Segmentation fault      $dirname/$appname "$@"
ilari

Post by ilari »

Daniel Shawul wrote:Hi Illari
I still have a few problems though.
I put sorpio same directory as the cutechess script. I am getting segmentation fault.

$ ./cutechess-cli.sh -fcp cmd=scorpio -scp cmd=scorpio -both tc=40/5
Started game 1 of 1
./cutechess-cli.sh: line 13: 26119 Segmentation fault      $dirname/$appname "$@"
:oops: I can't believe that bug is still there, I thought I had fixed it. Anyway, this problem should be fixed if you replace "cmd=scorpio" with "cmd=./scorpio".
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

Still no change.

$ ./cutechess-cli.sh -fcp cmd=./scorpio -scp cmd=./scorpio -both tc=40/5
Started game 1 of 1
Warning: Cannot start engine "./scorpio"
Warning: Cannot start engine "./scorpio"
./cutechess-cli.sh: line 13: 27516 Segmentation fault      $dirname/$appname "$@"
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

I should add that the same command works ok on windows ( It is version 0.2.1). So i guess the problem is specific to the linux 64 version.
Gian-Carlo Pascutto

Try adding dir=
Gian-Carlo Pascutto

Daniel Shawul wrote:Whenevery i try to use sudo i get reported to admin for transgression so no way to install it there.
Don't use sudo :)

Most Linux software has the option to add a --prefix= when you run "configure", and you can point that at your homedir.

Qt probably has a slightly different make system, but I'm sure it supports something similar.