A New Name for Doch....

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

fern

A New Name for Doch....

Post by fern »

If you have played as much as i have done this new program by Don, you will agree with me that it is too strong and special to have such vacuous name as it has now. Maybe we could propose some alternatives and perhaps Don could be tempted by one of them.
In my case, considering the crushing ability to get you fast, I would call it "Killer".
Surely there are many other better names.
Your bet?

Fern
Rolf

Re: A New Name for Doch....

Post by Rolf »

fern wrote:If you have played as much as i have done this new program by Don, you will agree with me that it is too strong and special to have such vacuous name as it has now. Maybe we could propose some alternatives and perhaps Don could be tempted by one of them.
In my case, considering the crushing ability to get you fast, I would call it "Killer".
Your bet?

Fern
In this case I have a little joke for you. Ok, we must figure that Don wanted to insinuate a German text program. And since you are now reporting how fast you have been killed or executed, I have the following:

After the execution by the sword towards the sitting and roped prisoner, the executed asked the hangman, but I am not dead yet, but sure or in German "DOCH!!", replied the guy, bend your head a bit forward and you'll see.... :) Last thing the dead man saw was his head rolling into the coffin. Isnt it crazy, Fernando, isnt it cruel? Isnt it spooky? How the head lived on without new blood flow but helt in balance by the neck architecture. But probably the joke isnt realistic.

Doch is used in case someone claimed doubts and was wrong himself, then the angry doch! means, wait a moment I'll tell you.
-Popper and Lakatos are good but I'm stuck on Leibowitz
Don

Post by Don »

fern wrote:If you have played as much as i have done this new program by Don, you will agree with me that it is too strong and special to have such vacuous name as it has now. Maybe we could propose some alternatives and perhaps Don could be tempted by one of them.
Your bet?

Fern
Hi Fernando!

If you come up with a good name I might indeed be tempted. I never intended to stick with the name "Doch" anyway.
Will Singleton

Post by Will Singleton »

How about Android? (An automaton that possesses human features.) The name does have some buzz these days.
kingliveson

Post by kingliveson »

Will Singleton wrote:How about Android? (An automaton that possesses human features.) The name does have some buzz these days.
I have a program called Android chess on my Android phone.
Sven
Full name: Sven Schüle

Post by Sven »

I would not change the name. The baby is born and its name is now well-known.

But if you change it nevertheless, please do not call it "Knockout". I would like to reserve that name for my next engine which I am developing right now and which I plan to release within 2010 (it will take a lot of time until then, though). I assume there is no chess engine called "Knockout" yet (in any possible uppercase/lowercase style), at least I haven't found any.

Sven
George Tsavdaris

Post by George Tsavdaris »

Will Singleton wrote:How about Android? (An automaton that possesses human features.) The name does have some buzz these days.
How about Notaclone or Notaclon for shortness?
But i like Doch name anyway....
After his son's birth they've asked him:
"Is it a boy or girl?"
YES! He replied.....
gerold

Post by gerold »

Snook.
May be a little diff. but i like fish. :)

Best,

Gerold.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Don wrote:
Your bet?

Fern
Hi Fernando!

If you come up with a good name I might indeed be tempted. I never intended to stick with the name "Doch" anyway.
F.E.A.R will be a devastating name for this wonderful program....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

How about '' Dark Man'' ?