Problem with functions not inlining

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Greg Strong

Problem with functions not inlining

Post by Greg Strong »

I'm using SSE2 functions for what was supposed to be very fast pawn structure analysis, and it has turned out to be quite slow. Now I think I've tracked down the problem, but I don't know what to do about it. I think the problem is that even the smallest trivial functions are not being inlined, despite my best efforts (like making sure that agressive inlining is turned on in the project settings, using the __inline keyword, etc.)

I've encapsulated the __128i data type for clarity. Here's a fragment of the class, with a very simple function that seems to me like it should inline...

Code: Select all

class xmm128i
{
  private:
	__m128i m_data;

public:
	xmm128i( __m128i *source )
	{ m_data = _mm_load_si128( source ); }

xmm128i( __m128i source ): m_data(source) { }

xmm128i( xmm const &source )
	{ _mm_load_si128( &source.As128i ); }

~xmm128i() { }

operator __m128i()
	{ return m_data; }

// very simple operator ...

xmm128i operator &( __m128i const &other )
	{ return xmm128i( _mm_and_si128( m_data, other ) ); }

// many more operators ...
}
The operator & is (intented to be) a totally trivial wrapper around the _mm_and_si128 compiler intrinsic. I just can't imagine why it refuses to inline, but with me using these operators frequently and every one adding the overhead of a function call, the code that should be fast is winding up being very, very slow...

Does anyone have any idea what's going on?!? I'm using Visual C++ 2008.

Thanks for any help you can provide. I'm rather frustrated :)
michiguel

Re: Problem with functions not inlining

Post by michiguel »

Greg Strong wrote:I'm using SSE2 functions for what was supposed to be very fast pawn structure analysis, and it has turned out to be quite slow. Now I think I've tracked down the problem, but I don't know what to do about it. I think the problem is that even the smallest trivial functions are not being inlined, despite my best efforts (like making sure that agressive inlining is turned on in the project settings, using the __inline keyword, etc.)

I've encapsulated the __128i data type for clarity. Here's a fragment of the class, with a very simple function that seems to me like it should inline...

class xmm128i
{
  private:
	__m128i m_data;

public:

~xmm128i() { }

operator __m128i()
	{ return m_data; }

}
The operator & is (intented to be) a totally trivial wrapper around the _mm_and_si128 compiler intrinsic. I just can't imagine why it refuses to inline, but with me using these operators frequently and every one adding the overhead of a function call, the code that should be fast is winding up being very, very slow...

Can you make a macro of the whole thing? Ugly, but...

Miguel
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Greg Strong wrote:I'm using SSE2 functions for what was supposed to be very fast pawn structure analysis, and it has turned out to be quite slow. Now I think I've tracked down the problem, but I don't know what to do about it. I think the problem is that even the smallest trivial functions are not being inlined, despite my best efforts (like making sure that agressive inlining is turned on in the project settings, using the __inline keyword, etc.)

class xmm128i
{
  private:
	__m128i m_data;

public:

~xmm128i() { }

operator __m128i()
	{ return m_data; }

}

You can almost always make something inline with __forceinline:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/z8y1yy88.aspx

However, it isn't always good to inline. If the code spills the cache because if inlining, it may well run slower instead of faster.
jwes

Post by jwes »

You are compiling a release version.
Gerd Isenberg

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

class xmm128i
{
  private:
	__m128i m_data;

public:

~xmm128i() { }

operator __m128i()
	{ return m_data; }

}

I don't have that problem, everything inlines very well with vc2008 release version. I have memory layout in a base class, binary operators as friends, and combined assignment ops returning a reference and no explicit destructor:

class mm128i : public DBB {

friend xmm128i operator& (const xmm128i &a, const xmm128i &b) {
      return xmm128i (_mm_and_si128(a.m_data, b.m_data));
   }

xmm128i & operator &=( mm128i const &other ) {
      m_data = _mm_and_si128( m_data, other.m_data ); 
      return *this;
   }
};
Also all parameter are all const ref xmm128i rather than __m128i.
Greg Strong

Post by Greg Strong »

I tried __forceinline and that didn't work either. Also, __forceinline is supposed to throw a warning if a function can't be inlined, but it doesn't do that either. I'm beginning to think my installation of Visual Studio is messed up.
Sven
Full name: Sven Schüle

Post by Sven »

Greg Strong wrote:I tried __forceinline and that didn't work either. Also, __forceinline is supposed to throw a warning if a function can't be inlined, but it doesn't do that either. I'm beginning to think my installation of Visual Studio is messed up.
Maybe not your installation but your project settings? Have you set inlining to "all suitable"?

Sven
Greg Strong

Post by Greg Strong »

Sven Schüle wrote:
Greg Strong wrote:I tried __forceinline and that didn't work either. Also, __forceinline is supposed to throw a warning if a function can't be inlined, but it doesn't do that either. I'm beginning to think my installation of Visual Studio is messed up.
Maybe not your installation but your project settings? Have you set inlining to "all suitable"?

Sven
Yes, it's set that way. And I did a clean install on another machine. That didn't work either. I just can't imagine what is going on.
steffan

Post by steffan »

Are you certain your project settings are set for "release" rather than "debug"? From what I remember of Visual Studio, debug effectively turns off optimisations, including inlining.
Greg Strong

Post by Greg Strong »

Yes, definitely release build for X64 platform ...