Go FORTH and multiply with FCP.......

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dan Andersson

Re: Go FORTH and multiply with FCP.......

Post by Dan Andersson »

The Brainless source is fairly easy to find if you search for the Forth application benchmarks (appbench) suite.

MvH Dan Andersson
Christopher Conkie

Re: Go FORTH and multiply with FCP.......

Post by Christopher Conkie »

IanO wrote:
Christopher Conkie wrote:http://www.quirkster.com/forth/FCP.html

You will be needing this.......

http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32forth/files/

Very nice.

:-)

Christopher
Glad you like it. It will also work with most other ANS Forths, like GNU Forth and the compiled bigForth. It was my first Forth program and first full chess program. Although it is in a different language, uses 0x88 board representation, and has many search extensions; it still has an evaluation that is nearly identical to TSCP 1.71. (This was on purpose, so I could more easily distinguish search and porting bugs as I learned Forth.) Tom Kerrighan has graciously allowed me to distribute this program without copyright.

There is another Forth chess program called brainless which is slightly stronger and not a derivative work. The source is harder to find, however.

Ian
If someone converted your code (no licence) back to C, would that be ok?

It would be nice if that were true. It might give people a starting point (say better than Firstchess for example) as times have moved on.

Your engine could be the benchmark that might allow more people to be interested or create something.

What do you think to this idea? I mean an allowance to do such a thing? There might be alot of people who would use that if only to create something in their own image. And it would be allowed (note....no licence). I bet it might take the heat off Tom too.

It would also be an entry point for those who might just want to get "involved" so to speak.

FCP might stand for Free Chess Program.

I'd like to know what you think because it could be significant.

Christopher