Norm Schmidt .....and the computer chess

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dr.Wael Deeb

Re:Original project

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Zach Wegner wrote:
Michael Diosi wrote:Did you look at the sourcefile ? Did you understand the code ? Did you comapre it with Toga /Fruit code ?
Did you? Protector, while it has many Fruit-like components, shares no code with it as far as I can tell from looking through a lot of it.
Just to add that Protector is almost equal in strength to StockFish 1.4 from the first quick test I run,so it must be a significant improvement....
BTW,another neglected engine is Toga The Killer,damn strong,I am currently running a big tournament on my quad machine with amazing results so far....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Michael Diosi

Post by Michael Diosi »

Yes.
It's a clone.
Michael Diosi

Post by Michael Diosi »

Did you try the newest very strong engine called Vegetable ? You should.
Michael Diosi

Post by Michael Diosi »

Sorry, the fact that Zach is saying he looke d at it found out that is not a proof either, it's a statement.

I will publish all the ncessary info at the Arena page:

http://www.playwitharena.com

soon. If this is what you want instead of Arena relevant info.

Fafis
Patriot
Oxygen

If you want to waste your time go on. Why don't you test the original engines form http://www.excatachess.com ?
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

Zach Wegner wrote:
Michael Diosi wrote:Did you look at the sourcefile ? Did you understand the code ? Did you comapre it with Toga /Fruit code ?
Did you? Protector, while it has many Fruit-like components, shares no code with it as far as I can tell from looking through a lot of it.
Did you also compare with parts of Strelka, Belka, Cyclops, Cyclone and
with parts of the Glaurung/Viper/Stockfish family?

Guenther
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Michael Diosi wrote:Sorry, the fact that Zach is saying he looke d at it found out that is not a proof either, it's a statement.

I'm not agreeing one way or the other at present because I'm not a programmer. However, I thought that the moderators had agreed that clone claims were not allowed in CCC without proof being posted here to back up the claim.

Cheers,
Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Why ???????

Post by Sylwy »

Michael Diosi wrote: Part I
You shouldn't belive those Russians...by now you should know better.
==============================================
Part II
I see you didn't understood my last sentence, but I don't wonder...

Hi !

Politics in computer chess ???
And..... an affront to me ???

Thank you !

Silvian
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Graham Banks wrote:
Michael Diosi wrote:Sorry, the fact that Zach is saying he looke d at it found out that is not a proof either, it's a statement.

I'm not agreeing one way or the other at present because I'm not a programmer. However, I thought that the moderators had agreed that clone claims were not allowed in CCC without proof being posted here to back up the claim.

Cheers,
Graham.
well that was the philosophy of the prior mod team Graham
however we now have a new team and i am not so sure if that is now the current philosophy
i know i still feel the same way
however even the prior mod team took the position that clone accusations would not be allowed ONLY IF no debatable proof was offered with in a reasonable period of time
i guess 24 hours would be reasonable (but the time frame was never actually set in stone)
the accuser in this case seems to suggest he will offer debatable proof here so lets see if he does
if he does not then the mods will discuss the current position on clone accusations being allowed with no proof being offered

Regards
Steve
Last edited by Steve B on Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zach Wegner

Post by Zach Wegner »

Guenther wrote:Did you also compare with parts of Strelka, Belka, Cyclops, Cyclone and
with parts of the Glaurung/Viper/Stockfish family?

Guenther
I haven't looked at Belka, Cyclops, or Cyclone code, but they shouldn't be too far from their respective ancestors. I'm familiar with most open source engines on the upper end of the strength spectrum, and I didn't see any _code_ that was copied from anywhere (this is from looking at the 5 or 6 most important source files, maybe the time management or something has some copied code). The algorithms are pretty similar to Fruit, but further from Fruit than most Togas. And the engine infrastructure is totally different.
Michael Diosi

Re: Why ???????

Post by Michael Diosi »

No politics, reality.
No. Reality again.

Nu-i asa ? Sau ma insel ?