Bright 0.4 A Fantastic, Agressive Games

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

fern

Bright 0.4 A Fantastic, Agressive Games

Post by fern »

Lately I have been playing Bright 0.4 A, the last public version in my knowledge. They has been games at 25 minutes all the game, 30 minutes the game, 40 minutes for 40 moves and 40 moves in one hour.
In all that time controls I have been defeated in an incredible fast and crushing manner.
I can hold my own with programs of Crafty level; certainly I lose many games, but I can draw others and in any case there is real fight to the end. Any less than 1900 will be surely defeated by me, exception made of specially lazy days when I give up with a draw very soon and with no other motiver than boredom.
With Bright it has been imposible.
It remember me Hiarcs by the attacking talent. And it remember me I do not know who when playing the opening, wich it handles with amazing weirdness but always with a point.
And this is only the 0.4 version.
At the very least I can say it is a lot more entertainning program to play than Rybka and if his promises are kept, it will be an even superior monster sooner or later.

Fern
Marek Soszynski

Re: Bright 0.4 A Fantastic, Agressive Games

Post by Marek Soszynski »

I have sometimes asked which of the better engines has the most dynamic, exciting style even at the expense of strength. Bright is that engine. I hope for a 64-bit version soon.
http://members.ziggo.nl/allard.siemelink/bright/
Marek Soszynski
jpqy

Post by jpqy »

Bright is indeed a very interesting strong engine...and he is one off the free engines who makes it difficult for Stockfish 1.4.
I have seen somewhere a new version from Bright..the Bright 0.5..hope we get it soon for testing!

JP.
fern

Post by fern »

Certainly i do not see which strength he loses playing that way. At least in the games he won to me, it made his attacks on the ground of positional considerations, not just wild attacks to see what happens.
I almost cannot wait or imagine how a fully developed 1.0 version could become.
Perhaps Bright style is not that good against other engines, I do not know, but as much I am not an engine, I do hope the author will maintain his heuristics and we will have a tremendous piece of power and entertainment.

My best
Fern
Allard Siemelink

Post by Allard Siemelink »

Thanks for the kind words guys.
The attacking stuff was new for 0.4a, and I am glad you noticed :)
In my (admittedly limited) testing against other engines, it actually made the engine slightly stronger.

Indeed a version 0.5a exists, it is currently being tested by Olivier in his Chesswar tournament. I am planning to release it in a couple of weeks.
Allard Siemelink

Post by Allard Siemelink »

btw, I tried a 64-bit version for Olivier's latest tournament.
Unfortunately, the compile was broken and since I do not have 64-bit Windows, it seems unlikely I can fix it.
On the other hand, Bright is a 32 bit engine (no bitboards), so I would not expect much gain from 64 bit anyway.
plattyaj

Post by plattyaj »

Allard Siemelink wrote:btw, I tried a 64-bit version for Olivier's latest tournament.
Unfortunately, the compile was broken and since I do not have 64-bit Windows, it seems unlikely I can fix it.
On the other hand, Bright is a 32 bit engine (no bitboards), so I would not expect much gain from 64 bit anyway.
Schola got a bigger speedup than I expected (I expected none) compiling for 64 bit - it also doesn't use bitboards (yet) ... I didn't look carefully but I suspect it's because the 64 bit hash code became more efficient.

Andy.
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Have you thought about going commercial? It's a really great engine you have there. Add an opening book and I'd buy it.

[edit: sorry just remembered - it's based on Glaurung, right?]
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Werewolf wrote:Have you thought about going commercial? It's a really great engine you have there. Add an opening book and I'd buy it.

Can't recall Allard having said anything like that.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Graham Banks wrote:
Werewolf wrote:Have you thought about going commercial? It's a really great engine you have there. Add an opening book and I'd buy it.

Can't recall Allard having said anything like that.
Is Bright totally unique work? If so he could go commercial, I love the engine