"Chesley the Chess Engine!" released publicly.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

gingell

"Chesley the Chess Engine!" released publicly.

Post by gingell »

Hi,

I've been working on my hobby project "Chesley the Chess Engine" since January. Although it still lacks a few of the features it'll need to be useful to a general audience, I think it's at a stage where it's worth making available to the chess programming community. Chesley is written in C++ and currently targets OS X and Linux hosts using the xboard protocol.

I've learned a huge amount from open source engines around the net and I'm proud to be giving something back.

Chesley has a fast and correct move generator, and a strong enough search implementation that it plays good tactical chess up to its horizon. However its position evaluation function and endgame are extremely weak and it won't play a good game against a more mature engine. (It's rather painful at this point to watch it move all-but aimlessly when it can't find a tactical improvement in the search time allotted!)

Interested parties are invited to take a look at:

http://chesley.sourceforge.net/

Regards,
Matt Gingell
kranium

Re: "Chesley the Chess Engine!" released publicly.

Post by kranium »

gingell wrote:Hi,

I've been working on my hobby project "Chesley the Chess Engine" since January. Although it still lacks a few of the features it'll need to be useful to a general audience, I think it's at a stage where it's worth making available to the chess programming community. Chesley is written in C++ and currently targets OS X and Linux hosts using the xboard protocol.

I've learned a huge amount from open source engines around the net and I'm proud to be giving something back.

Chesley has a fast and correct move generator, and a strong enough search implementation that it plays good tactical chess up to its horizon. However its position evaluation function and endgame are extremely weak and it won't play a good game against a more mature engine. (It's rather painful at this point to watch it move all-but aimlessly when it can't find a tactical improvement in the search time allotted!)

Regards,
Matt Gingell
very nice Matthew!

i notice you're using the Boost C++ library...
can you tell us a little more?

also-
many of the users that download the engine will not be able to produce a binary on their own.....
if it possible for you to provide a MS or Intel compiled (windows) executable with the download, it would be of great help to many...

how strong do you think the engine is?

good luck!
Norm
mcostalba

Post by mcostalba »

gingell wrote:Hi,

Regards,
Matt Gingell
Hi Matt,

thanks for sharing !

It is very clean and very well written. I have seen that you use rotated bitboards. Can I ask what was the reason of that choice instead of as example magic bitboards ?

Thanks
Marco
JVMerlino

Post by JVMerlino »

Congratulations, Matt! Welcome to the club!

jm (author of Myrddin)