GM Gustafsson, 2631, says favorite player is....

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Albert Silver

GM Gustafsson, 2631, says favorite player is....

Post by Albert Silver »

Rybka 3.

In an interview given to New in Chess magazine (2/2009), GM Jan Gustafsson, was asked who his favorite player of all time was.

"Rybka 3. Sad, but true."
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
peter
Full name: Peter Martan

Re: GM Gustafsson, 2631, says favorite player is....

Post by peter »

"Patience means restraining one's inclinations. There are seven emotions: joy, anger, anxiety, love, grief, fear, and hate, and if a man does not give way to these he can be called patient."

Tokugawa Ieyasu (1543-1616)

Forgive me for answering not to your post, but to your signature, which is a little doubtful to me. I don't doubt the wisdom of the quoted but as for my personal point of view there should be seen at least 3 more emotions following his nomenclature: hope, happiness and confidence as the positive sides of anxiety, grief and fear, maybe feeling of freedom or restriction could be added to describe most of the parts of the dynamic steady state of our minds and soles.
But more than this it seems to me, that a man who doesn't give way to (any of) them, can be called a patient (an in-patient or an out-patient as well) as patient.
:)
Patience is not simply a feeling but a state of mind but so is health, patience does not mean the same as self-control to me and health is not the same as infirmity
:)
Peter.
swami

Post by swami »

No surprise.

I'd expect all or half of the other GM's to say this thing. So what if this one GM said it... not a big matter.
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

Rybka 3 is also my favorite player, although I must say that I secretly admire Rybka 3 Dynamic even more so.
playjunior

Post by playjunior »

swami wrote:No surprise.

I'd expect all or half of the other GM's to say this thing. So what if this one GM said it... not a big matter.
You really think half of GMs would say they prefer Rybka over Kasparov, Karpov, Petrosian, Alekhine, Capa, Morphy as their favourite all-time player?
swami

Post by swami »

playjunior wrote:

You really think half of GMs would say they prefer Rybka over Kasparov, Karpov, Petrosian, Alekhine, Capa, Morphy as their favourite all-time player?
If the question is worded properly to make emphasis on computers as well as classic chess players, then Yes. But Rybka has to win some kind of major championship involving super GM's in the field before a lot of GM's take notice to give credit.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

swami wrote:
playjunior wrote:

If the question is worded properly to make emphasis on computers as well as classic chess players, then Yes. But Rybka has to win some kind of major championship involving super GM's in the field before a lot of GM's take notice to give credit.
And you have doubts that cluster Rybka 3 for example is not capable of achieving this :!: :?:
I can asure you that even on my new humble hardware,Intel Yorkfield Q9650 using 2 GB DDR2 ram,it,Rybka,will wipe the floor with most of the top 100 GM in the world....and when I say most,I mean that here and there,someone will escape with a draw....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
swami

Post by swami »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
swami wrote:
playjunior wrote:

And you have doubts that cluster Rybka 3 for example is not capable of achieving this :!: :?:
I can asure you that even on my new humble hardware,Intel Yorkfield Q9650 using 2 GB DDR2 ram,it,Rybka,will wipe the floor with most of the top 100 GM in the world....and when I say most,I mean that here and there,someone will escape with a draw....
Dr.D
I have absolutely no doubt that Rybka could beat any GM in the world even on Pentium 3. I have precisely stated nowhere that I had any doubts whatsoever. What I implied was that I doubt that Rybka would ever get a chance to play GM's in a major tournament, like a Man vs Machine or something. Such tournament is sure way to boost the popularity of Rybka. Now that such tournaments with Rybka against Anand, Topalov or Kramnik is nearly impossible in foreseeable future because man vs machine sure looks to be dead and there ain't any progress as of late, I doubt Rybka will be that popular in chess circles enough for some GM's to want to say "Rybka" is their favourite player. I basically claimed that such tournament will popularise Rybka far more. And many GM's will begin to say Rybka is their favourite player in some interview once in a while, just as they had cheered for Deep Blue in 1997's.
Last edited by swami on Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

swami wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
swami wrote:
playjunior wrote:

Dr.D
I have absolutely no doubt that Rybka could beat any GM in the world even on Pentium 3. I have precisely stated nowhere that I had any doubts whatsoever. What I implied was that I doubt that Rybka would ever get a chance to play GM's in a major tournament, like a Man vs Machine or something. Such tournament is sure way to boost the popularity of Rybka. Now that such tournaments with Rybka against Anand, Topalov or Kramnik is nearly impossible in foreseeable future because man vs machine sure looks to be dead and there ain't any progress as of late, I doubt Rybka will be that popular in chess circles enough for some GM's to want to say "Rybka" is their favourite player. I basically claimed that such tournament will popularise Rybka. And many GM's will begin to say Rybka is their favourite player in some interview once in a while, just as they had cheered for Deep Blue in 1997's.
Thanks,that's more like it.... :P
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
swami

Post by swami »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
swami wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
swami wrote:
playjunior wrote:

Dr.D
I have absolutely no doubt that Rybka could beat any GM in the world even on Pentium 3. I have precisely stated nowhere that I had any doubts whatsoever. What I implied was that I doubt that Rybka would ever get a chance to play GM's in a major tournament, like a Man vs Machine or something. Such tournament is sure way to boost the popularity of Rybka. Now that such tournaments with Rybka against Anand, Topalov or Kramnik is nearly impossible in foreseeable future because man vs machine sure looks to be dead and there ain't any progress as of late, I doubt Rybka will be that popular in chess circles enough for some GM's to want to say "Rybka" is their favourite player. I basically claimed that such tournament will popularise Rybka. And many GM's will begin to say Rybka is their favourite player in some interview once in a while, just as they had cheered for Deep Blue in 1997's.
Thanks,that's more like it.... :P
Dr.D
Sssh... Don't call Terry. Or he would... :P