Smaug: a new chess engine based on glaurung

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

zamar

Re: Smaug: a new chess engine based on glaurung

Post by zamar »

Still not finished but I can't resist posting the results on 1'+0'' games Stockfish with patch vs Stockfish without patch after 667 games out of 1000: +171 -149 =347 +11 ELO !!!!
Nice to have someone to test those patches, thanks! Your results look promising, though error bar is still quite wide. Of course I did some tests before publishing Smaug, but I think results are much more reliable when tester and patch writer are different persons! Please post all your results (positive or negative) here.
I am now testing the eval parameters tweaks, I will test separately the null move beta corrections later.
Value NullMoveDeltaMidgame[10] =
{ (Value) -8, (Value) 6, (Value)-15, (Value) 9, (Value) 21,
(Value) 34, (Value) 54, (Value) 59, (Value) 61, (Value) 61}

Value NullMoveDeltaEndgame[10] =
{ (Value) 6, (Value) 0, (Value)-13, (Value) -9, (Value)-35,
(Value) 12, (Value) 24, (Value) 9, (Value) 5, (Value) 5}

if you do patching by hand, please note that first indexes are unused. It was only used in optimization process to get estimate of "random noise". Should have documented this better...

However as pruning stuff is slightly different in Stockfish compared to Glaurung, those values might be suboptimal for Stockfish :/
The current development version of Stockfish is still not available for public, but given the great stuff you donated to us, if you are interested in it please ask it and I will be glad to send you a private copy.
Sure I'm interested of it! Thanks! You can post it to jo3on5a.k7iis6ki@gm8ail.com (remove numbers!). Perhaps I can avoid reinventing the wheel :D
Joona Kiiski
zamar

Post by zamar »

Tord Romstad wrote:Joona,

I'm happy to see this new project! Now when I have no time or desire to improve my own engine, it's nice to see talented guys like you and Marco continue my work. Good luck! I can't promise I won't steal something back from you if and when I return to working on Glaurung.
:wink:
The sooner you are back the better! I think you still have much to give for computer chess. When trying to improve Glaurung's play I feel just like a little hobbit standing on dragon's shoulder ;)
Joona Kiiski
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

Tord Romstad wrote:The Intel compiler for OS X is not free, but I have it. I'll compile optimized x86-64 binaries of Smaug and Stockfish, and put them on my web site later tonight.
OK, here are PGO-optimized 64-bit OS X binaries compiled with the Intel compiler:

http://www.glaurungchess.com/smaug221.gz
http://www.glaurungchess.com/stockfish12-optimistic.gz

The binaries require a Core 2 Duo Mac running OS X 10.5 (Leopard).

For some reason, I couldn't find the source code of Stockfish 1.2 default on my machine, and I'm not sure where to find it on the web. Do you have a URL for me, Marco?

Tord
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

zamar wrote:The sooner you are back the better!
I never really left. :)

I just have more urgent tasks than improving the desktop version of my engine at the moment. I need to improve both the iPhone and the Mac OS X GUI, to implement support for the DGT e-board in the OS X version, and to write a non-bitboard version of the engine for better performance on the iPhone (which is by far the most important platform, because more than 95% of all Glaurung users run it on the iPhone, even though the iPhone version has been available for just three weeks).

Tord
zamar

Post by zamar »

Tord Romstad wrote:
I think you should check with Marcus Prewarski (the author of the UCI engine Diablo) whether the name is OK, though: Several years ago, he had a chess engine (possibly private) named Smaug. That old program is almost certainly no longer in development, and I doubt that Marcus has any objections against you using the same name, but it's better to be sure.

Tord
Do you (or anybody else here) know the email-address for this guy. Already asked google...
Joona Kiiski
zamar

Post by zamar »

Thanks a lot for those binaries :)
Joona Kiiski
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

zamar wrote:
Tord Romstad wrote:
I think you should check with Marcus Prewarski (the author of the UCI engine Diablo) whether the name is OK, though: Several years ago, he had a chess engine (possibly private) named Smaug. That old program is almost certainly no longer in development, and I doubt that Marcus has any objections against you using the same name, but it's better to be sure.
Do you (or anybody else here) know the email-address for this guy. Already asked google...
The README file for Diablo says:
I can be reached by email at WillSurfForFood at gmail dot com.
I'm not sure if this e-mail address is still valid, but it's worth a try.

Marcus is a nice guy; say hello to him from me if you write. :)

Tord
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

Tord Romstad wrote:
Tord Romstad wrote:The Intel compiler for OS X is not free, but I have it. I'll compile optimized x86-64 binaries of Smaug and Stockfish, and put them on my web site later tonight.
OK, here are PGO-optimized 64-bit OS X binaries compiled with the Intel compiler:

http://www.glaurungchess.com/smaug221.gz
http://www.glaurungchess.com/stockfish12-optimistic.gz

The binaries require a Core 2 Duo Mac running OS X 10.5 (Leopard).

Tord
The smaug221 binary works fine for me on my Core 2 Duo Mac Book running OS X 10.5.6. However, I did need to do

Code: Select all

chmod 755 smaug221
to make the unzipped file executable.

And I enjoyed the message that appears when smaug is started from the command line:

Code: Select all

Smaug 2.2.1.  Copyright (C) 2004-2008 Tord Romstad. Messed up by Joona Kiiski.
Howard E

Post by Howard E »

So as a user of Glaurung to I just copy the Smaug directory into the glaurung directory and then rename it to src?
mcostalba

Post by mcostalba »

Tord Romstad wrote:
For some reason, I couldn't find the source code of Stockfish 1.2 default on my machine, and I'm not sure where to find it on the web. Do you have a URL for me, Marco?
Of course:

http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25692

there you find the links to both default and optimistic versions.

Marco