It's ready! Glaurung 1.0 for the iPhone/iPod Touch

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Tord Romstad

It's ready! Glaurung 1.0 for the iPhone/iPod Touch

Post by Tord Romstad »

Hi all,

At last, Glaurung 1.0 for the Apple iPhone is available as a free download from Apple's App Store. :)

Unfortunately, I discovered and fixed a bug in this version a little too late for the bug fix to be included in the App Store version: The program will occasionally freeze during startup, and cause the device to reboot after a minute or so. This happens very rarely on most phones, but if you are unlucky it could happen quite often. If this sounds too annoying, please wait for the 1.0.1 version, which should be available soon. I'll submit it to Apple as soon as possible, but it could take some time for Apple to review and accept the new version.

For users with jailbroken iPhones or iPods, I recommend downloading Abaia instead. Abaia is now available from the BigBoss repository, and can be installed through Cydia. The current version of Abaia does contain the bug fix described above, and will therefore be more stable.

The advantage of running Abaia rather than Glaurung is that updates and bug fixes will arrive a little earlier. :)

The source code will be available from my web page within a few days. If you can't wait, drop me an e-mail.

Tord
Tord Romstad

Re: It's ready! Glaurung 1.0 for the iPhone/iPod Touch

Post by Tord Romstad »

Version 1.0.1 is now available (free update). This version is far more stable, and uses far less memory. Upgrading is strongly recommended, especially if you have encountered crashes or if Glaurung occasionally froze your device and caused it to reboot. These problems have been fixed in 1.0.1.

Tord
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

Thanks, I'm still using the original version and have had no problems yet.But I will get the latest soon.I just want to say how well thought out and very strong playing it has achieved and all for free :) .I can't believe that other developers for other devices create crappy demo versions with so many restrictions in the hope that you will fork out big money just to do what yours does.I will send a postcard soon as thanks for your effort.
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

Hello Alex,

I'm glad you like the program. Version 1.0.1 should be even better (but not stronger). :-)
Cubeman wrote:I can't believe that other developers for other devices create crappy demo versions with so many restrictions in the hope that you will fork out big money just to do what yours does.
When I see how big the market is, I am not surprised that people try to earn some money. I find it more difficult to understand that people are still trying to make money by selling UCI engines. The iPhone market seems to be at least two orders of magnitude bigger. If I had earned $1 for each "customer" of Glaurung on the iPhone, I would have earned more than twice as much over the last three weeks as I earn in a full year with my normal job.

Tord