Delfi 5.3B released - memory bug fixed

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

terminator

Delfi 5.3B released - memory bug fixed

Post by terminator »

Code: Select all

RELEASE NOTES

Version 5.3B, 2008/06/25.
# Fixed a memory bug caused by the MP implementation.
# Fixed an evaluation bug in the endgame.

Version 5.3, 2008/06/24.
# Many evaluation improvements.
# Option for dual core CPUs, 1.5X speedup.
# Fixed a bug in UCI pondering.
# Restored "perft" command. 
The author fixed the memory bug. If only he can fix the 64 Mb hash maximum as well.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Re: Delfi 5.3B released - memory bug fixed

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

terminator wrote:

Code: Select all

RELEASE NOTES

Version 5.3B, 2008/06/25.
# Fixed a memory bug caused by the MP implementation.
# Fixed an evaluation bug in the endgame.

Version 5.3, 2008/06/24.
# Many evaluation improvements.
# Option for dual core CPUs, 1.5X speedup.
# Fixed a bug in UCI pondering.
# Restored "perft" command. 
The author fixed the memory bug. If only he can fix the 64 Mb hash maximum as well.
Thanks....
Use it as a UCI engine to get more Mb for the hash table....
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Post by tmokonen »

How can I allocate more than 64 MB? The Arena GUI changes it back to 64 if I try to set it to something larger. If I set it to, say, 256 MB in Fritz, it only allocates 64 MB.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

tmokonen wrote:How can I allocate more than 64 MB? The Arena GUI changes it back to 64 if I try to set it to something larger. If I set it to, say, 256 MB in Fritz, it only allocates 64 MB.
So it's limited to 64 Mb even if you use it as a UCI engine....
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Martin Thoresen

Post by Martin Thoresen »

I believe that Delfi is hard-code limited to 64 MB of hash as I remember the author saying that increasing hash did nothing.

That's a while ago though, and since it now is MP it could benefit from more hash.
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

May be you all can use 45 Gigs of hash and turn Delfi in to another Rybka. For any kind of practical use 64Mb of hash should be enough.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Tony Thomas wrote:May be you all can use 45 Gigs of hash and turn Delfi in to another Rybka. For any kind of practical use 64Mb of hash should be enough.
Correct and it's not hard for the author to increase the size of the hash table if he thinks that the engine will benifit from that....
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Tony Thomas wrote:May be you all can use 45 Gigs of hash and turn Delfi in to another Rybka. For any kind of practical use 64Mb of hash should be enough.
Correct and it's not hard for the author to increase the size of the hash table if he thinks that the engine will benifit from that....
Mike Sherwin says that he doesnt see any advantage from using large hashtables. I believe it was Christophe Theron who did an experiment with doubling hash tables, and he found that you gain 5 points for each doubling, or something small. I wonder if Terminator is always just a gloomy/grumpy gus.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Tony Thomas wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Mike Sherwin says that he doesnt see any advantage from using large hashtables. I believe it was Christophe Theron who did an experiment with doubling hash tables, and he found that you gain 5 points for each doubling, or something small. I wonder if Terminator is always just a gloomy/grumpy gus.
Aren't you afraid to be terminated Tony :!: :?:

:lol:
terminator

Post by terminator »

Tony Thomas wrote:Mike Sherwin says that he doesnt see any advantage from using large hashtables. I believe it was Christophe Theron who did an experiment with doubling hash tables, and he found that you gain 5 points for each doubling, or something small. I wonder if Terminator is always just a gloomy/grumpy gus.
There is no need to hardcode 64 Mb unless Delfi is intended for blitz chess. I haven't tested Delfi in the playchess engineroom but it would be whacked by progs like Glaurung which are more customisable. I'll see whether I can find the author's contacts to ask him to join this debate.