Why no thinker talk?

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Re: I have got some update

Post by Damir »

We need more than just one Thinker bug. :wink:
ArmyBridge

Post by ArmyBridge »

Graham Banks wrote:
Ovyron wrote:
Damir wrote:Thanks for an update Lance.

Any idea how strong this new Thinker is?
The strength should be the same, the only difference is that it will no longer play games in where it gives away its pieces (but I don't think testers were taking these odd games into account.)
From Lance:

My feeling is that they should be treated as different programs. The bug is quite severe. Even in games where 5.1C won, it could just have been due to the bug, but had a positive effect.

The only games where you can say the 5.1C and 5.1D behaved in the same way, are those when 5.1C was ran from the start of the program.
:shock: hey then don´t remove the bug!!!! The play style is very very atractive, for all us that like killer attacks, wolud be better remove the games that are wrong and start the game again, if the new version is going to play less aggressive , sincerelyI prefer the old version :wink: , I just hope to see Deep Thinker as soon as possible :idea:
Regards and Thanks to Lance for the great Bug!!!!! 8-)
CThinker

Post by CThinker »

ArmyBridge wrote: :shock: hey then don´t remove the bug!!!! The play style is very very atractive, for all us that like killer attacks, wolud be better remove the games that are wrong and start the game again, if the new version is going to play less aggressive , sincerelyI prefer the old version :wink: , I just hope to see Deep Thinker as soon as possible :idea:
The playing style has not changed. There is no way that such a bug could improve the performance of the engine.

That random bad behavior would just go away.

Cheers!
ArmyBridge

Post by ArmyBridge »

CThinker wrote:
ArmyBridge wrote: :shock: hey then don´t remove the bug!!!! The play style is very very atractive, for all us that like killer attacks, wolud be better remove the games that are wrong and start the game again, if the new version is going to play less aggressive , sincerelyI prefer the old version :wink: , I just hope to see Deep Thinker as soon as possible :idea:
The playing style has not changed. There is no way that such a bug could improve the performance of the engine.

That random bad behavior would just go away.

Cheers!
Hi Lance, is good hear that, btw why do you named this version "passive"?, the first time that a read that I thought o no, other Rybkanius engine, just few days later I star to watch all the topics about your engine and I download it, Now I´m very Happy to see that "passive" is only a irony, but I think that you would rename your program, maybe something like "Thinker Thal" is better.... I guess :wink:
Tnx
maxchgr

Post by maxchgr »

thinkerjunior10.pgn - 0.09MB

Thinker 5.1D vs. Junior 10.1 _____ +5 =6 -5
no ponder (wasn't working for Thinker), Fritz11 GUI, 7 moves from my book

Not as fun as the games vs Junior 7 but still good
Thinker is real strong :D
CThinker

Post by CThinker »

ArmyBridge wrote: Hi Lance, is good hear that, btw why do you named this version "passive"?, the first time that a read that I thought o no, other Rybkanius engine, just few days later I star to watch all the topics about your engine and I download it, Now I´m very Happy to see that "passive" is only a irony, but I think that you would rename your program, maybe something like "Thinker Thal" is better.... I guess :wink:
Tnx
From the Thinker games at ICC and FICS against human players, it "seems to me" that the passive version is indeed less aggressive, and, a lot of human players easily draw against it with closed positions. The active version on the other hand draws less and plays for initiative.

I do understand that my conclusions are not scientific. Also, those observations were a long time ago. The resulting personalities may be different now after a lot more development work.

Of course, you are all free to name them anything you like.
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Maybe Passive Thinker = Anti-Computer and Active Thinker = Anti-Human ;)
glorfindel

Post by glorfindel »

CThinker wrote:
Tord Romstad wrote:By the way, is there any hope that there will be a Thinker version for us Linux and Macintosh users? Reading this thread makes me want it. It looks like a nice engine, and the strength seems to be just right for use as a sparring partner for my own program.

Tord
Sorry, Tord. It is not going to happen in the near future. I am already maintaining two build environments - Windows CE and Windows NT. I don't have the time right now to add another one. Plus, there are already other environments lined-up (Nintendo DS and Symbian OS).

You can always run it in WINE.
You mean you have run it in WINE? I tried a couple of times, but the engine did not start successfully.

Besides, since you are targeting four different platforms, Thinker must be written in a truly portable way so that it wouldn't be too difficult to port it to a couple more architectures, would it?
ArmyBridge

Post by ArmyBridge »

maxchgr wrote:thinkerjunior10.pgn - 0.09MB

Thinker 5.1D vs. Junior 10.1 _____ +5 =6 -5
no ponder (wasn't working for Thinker), Fritz11 GUI, 7 moves from my book

Not as fun as the games vs Junior 7 but still good
Thinker is real strong :D
Thanks for the games, and about the 3 games which Thinker lost for the bug, dou you have in mind replay the Junior7 match this time with Thinker 5.1 D?, maybe Thinker "active" is the right rival for Junior 7, this because Thinker "pasive" smash Junior 7, don´t you think so maksim? :wink:
Regards
maxchgr

Post by maxchgr »

sure i'll run some more with the active one to make it closer and upload it later ;)