Alfil 8.1.1 SIMD

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Tony Thomas

Alfil 8.1.1 SIMD

Post by Tony Thomas »

Is there any advantage to using this version when all I have is a Pentium D 2800? I read the page about SIMD on Wikipedia but it doesnt answer anything. Did any of you notice any speed improvement with this version compared to the default?

Thanks in advance
Tony
geots

Re: Alfil 8.1.1 SIMD

Post by geots »

Tony Thomas wrote:Is there any advantage to using this version when all I have is a Pentium D 2800? I read the page about SIMD on Wikipedia but it doesnt answer anything. Did any of you notice any speed improvement with this version compared to the default?

Thanks in advance
Tony

Go to bed and get some sleep. Its late, and you need the rest. :lol:
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

geots wrote:
Tony Thomas wrote:Is there any advantage to using this version when all I have is a Pentium D 2800? I read the page about SIMD on Wikipedia but it doesnt answer anything. Did any of you notice any speed improvement with this version compared to the default?

Thanks in advance
Tony

Go to bed and get some sleep. Its late, and you need the rest. :lol:
George, I was off this weekend, I pulled about 23 hrs of sleep in last two days. Now I must play some computer chess.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Hi Tony,
Your processor is definitely supporting SIMD,single instruction multi data,but as far as my humble knowledge spreads,it's not a big benifit for the chess engines....
In other words,run the two versions of Alfil and compare the speed,I am almost sure that it's minimal if any....
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….