Life is Unfair: the Majestic Chess Case

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

fern

Life is Unfair: the Majestic Chess Case

Post by fern »

Life is often unfair in almost every field and so unfairness is also present here, in our terrain. Three or perhaps 4 years ago Majestic Chess was delivered to the market. It brought a gorgeous gui, an add-on for kids and the newest engine by Kittinger, a programmer which is always talked about as a legend and in fact many many ask how they could get his Wchess program or any other, please....
Nevertheless, when Majestic stroke the shells, I dare to say that almost nobody here got it because, well, it was so pretty, it was so "commercial", not the kind of engine serious, professional fans gets...
The company that produced Majestic was bankrupt or something, it vanished, the program disappeared, it is findable only in eBay and of course nobody -again the "serious fans"- talk about it.
And it was and it is a great, magnificent program, very strong, pretty to see and play, a jewel.
Many other poorly clothed programs surely got better press and better sells than Majestic.
So is life....

Playing Majestic wonderful program regards
Fernando
AdminX

Re: Life is Unfair: the Majestic Chess Case

Post by AdminX »

I bought Majestic Chess for my son about 1 1/2 years ago from CompUSA for about $10. It is a strong program for sure. My son enjoys the mini problems.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by fern »

Well, there we have an example of good decision...
I am sure that if the same program by Kittinger that we have now in Majestic would have been released in a nasty envelope, perhaps even just the engine, it would have caused expectation and hoopla.
Seems like in chess computers less is more....

My best
Fernando
Nimzovik

Post by Nimzovik »

YAH!! I agree. I can't get it to work on my Win xp 64 bit either....Any suggestions? :cry:
Matthias Gemuh

Post by Matthias Gemuh »

Hi Fernando,
the secret for a chess program's success nowadays depends on the answer to the following question:

Can the engine that comes with that program play tournaments against WB and UCI engines in one GUI ?

Best,
Matthias.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

how can we bring dave kittinger to release a new version of his PC chess program.

anybody having his adress or email ?

i also think i have those kittinger clones at home:

the Wchess200 for Genius (MCS GUI)
PowerChess
Majestic

and the old Wchess DOS disk, not working anymore.

nice would be a LATEST version in UCI .
Or in a new GUI.
eriq

Post by eriq »

I did like the Majestic chess program and also purchased it for my son (though he likes xbox better??) I would rather see it also in a uci engine so I could play it in other more stable gui's. The problem with mr. kittinger's stuff has always been buggy interfaces ie. powerchess, powerchess2000, Majestic chess etc.

btw. when I had the program I let russel potter (2200+fide) from roanoke, Va. play it on a laptop and he got crushed like a grape in front of everyone at the club that night after one of his lectures. It was a great moment! I will miss wchess.
fern

Post by fern »

Eriq, though is truth Power Chess was buggy, I still do not meet any problem with Majestic gui.
Perhaps I am just lucky?

My bst
Fernando
JVMerlino

Post by JVMerlino »

Thank you, Fernando. Always a pleasure to see one's work is appreciated. :D

jm
cornetmike

Post by cornetmike »

The chess engine in Majestic Chess is WChess. Or so I read somewhere. I bought Majestic Chess two years ago, but even though it installs OK, I can only get it to run once. Then I have to delete it and then install it again... :( The graphics are breathtakingly beautiful! :!:

Yes, Majestic Chess is a VERY strong opponent! :shock:

I too tried looking for another version of WChess, but the available Power Chess and Power Chess '98 apparently won't work with Win XP...

Mr. Kittinger, help us!

regards
Mikey