Fruit 2.3.1 released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ryan Benitez

Fruit 2.3.1 released

Post by Ryan Benitez »

Fruit 2.3.1 is available for Windows, Linux, and Mac with some minor big fixes and a UCI option to extend checks. Extending checks should help by a few elo in engine tournaments. You can download Fruit 2.3.1 at www.superchessengine.com
Thank you Daniel Charles for hosting Fruit and other engines for the computer chess community to enjoy.

Also Fruit 2.3.1 for Pocket PC can be downloaded at www.zanchetta.net/CEBoard/
Thank you Alain Zanchetta for porting Fruit to Pocket PC.
Uri Blass

Re: Fruit 2.3.1 released

Post by Uri Blass »

Ryan Benitez wrote:Fruit 2.3.1 is available for Windows, Linux, and Mac with some minor big fixes and a UCI option to extend checks. Extending checks should help by a few elo in engine tournaments. You can download Fruit 2.3.1 at www.superchessengine.com
Thank you Daniel Charles for hosting Fruit and other engines for the computer chess community to enjoy.

Also Fruit 2.3.1 for Pocket PC can be downloaded at www.zanchetta.net/CEBoard/
Thank you Alain Zanchetta for porting Fruit to Pocket PC.
Extending checks is done in all free source versiond of fruit and toga so it is nothing new for fruit and I wonder why do you mention it.

There is no reason to stop extending checks unless tests prove that it is productive in games so if you suggest that default fruit2.3.1 does not extend checks then I wonder what is the reason for it.

Uri
Ryan Benitez

Post by Ryan Benitez »

I do not strive to just like everyone else so of course I tried other methods of extending tactical lines. I did not enable the check extension because it is not something that was tested in the last beta. Just because it should be better does not mean I am 100% sure it will be better. For me it is better to release what has been tested and give the user the freedom to try whatever settings they find most entertaining. If I only cared about ELO points on a rating list of the default settings I would have changed the default settings at least to match the ML settings that CEGT has been testing. As it is I enjoy knowing that more performance can be had with tuning of the many UCI options provided. I think the ML settings being better than the default settings is good proof of that.
ASchwartmann

Post by ASchwartmann »

Thanks - how about the 64 bit compile. Will there be an update too?
Ryan Benitez

Post by Ryan Benitez »

Because of the structure of Fruit there is no real speed up for 64bit computers.
Stephen Ham
Full name: Stephen Ham

Question for Ryan

Post by Stephen Ham »

Ryan Benitez wrote:Fruit 2.3.1 is available for Windows, Linux, and Mac with some minor big fixes and a UCI option to extend checks. Extending checks should help by a few elo in engine tournaments. You can download Fruit 2.3.1 at www.superchessengine.com
Hello Ryan,

Thanks for your latest Fruit offerings and your efforts to give us the best Fruit engine possible.

I clicked on Engine Parameters in the CB gui to find that "extend checks" wasn't checked in the UCI version of Fruit 2.3.1. So, I checked it, but was unable to get that check to remain after leaving the screen. Ryan, how does one elect that option and then make it last?

I agree that extending checks "should" make it a stronger engine.

Thanks in advance.

All the best,
Steve
mariaclara

Re: Question for Ryan

Post by mariaclara »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

.........hey, great :!: :!: :!:

.........thanks 4 d linux version........... :wink: 8-)

ps
using ubuntu7.04 :wink: :wink:

................. Mu Shin ..........................
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

You would have to create another UCI engine (which actually creates the .uci config file only), but change options ("parameter") as desired BEFORE clicking OK in that dialogue. It is required to change or extend the engine name for non-default settings, like "Fruit 2.3.1 xch" for example, in Fritz.

The other option to save and load alternative engine settings, like for cb-native engine, is not sufficient if you want it permanently. You would have to load the .param file always.

I use it without own book and with check extensions in the F8 GUI, and the .uci file looks like this:

Code: Select all

[ENGINE]
Name=Fruit 2.3.1 xch
Author=Fabien Letouzey, France
Filename=D:\Schach\Extraengines\Fruit\Fruit-2-3-1.exe

[OPTIONS]
OwnBook=false
Extend Checks=true
People who have the screen size problem with the many engine options, can add that line manually to enable Extend Checks.

(The OwnBook setting is not required if the GUI, like Shredder classic, has a global setting for UCI engine books.)

(Sorry if I'm answering this question not directed to myself, but I was doing these changes for the same purpose, just before.)
Regards, Mike
Stephen Ham
Full name: Stephen Ham

Post by Stephen Ham »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, as a computer dummy, that went completely over my head!

I already have the Fruit 2.3.1 UCI engine, yet you say I need to create another?

OK, I can copy the engine and make a duplicate. But why, Mike? Using the CB gui, I found where I can check the box to extend checks. But as soon as I leave that screen the check is erased.

Yes, the screen page was too large as well. But, you wrote that that I can add a line to manually extend checks. Why? I already have access to that line, but it just refuses to stay.

Sorry for being so ignorant, Mike.

Any suggestions?
Jouni

Post by Jouni »

Click box, press enter, press ok. But You must create new UCI engine with another name to get setting automatically.

Jouni