Shredder for iPhone

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

smk

Shredder for iPhone

Post by smk »

Hello,

we have written some chess programs for the iPhone. Right now there is no iPhone here in Europe to test it, so can anyone of you who already has an iPhone please test if the programs below work fine there?

http://www.shredderchess.com/iphone

Thanks a lot for your help

Stefan
Patatov

Re: Shredder for iPhone

Post by Patatov »

Hey Stefan,

I don't own an iphone but I work a couple of blocks away from the main Apple Store in NYC and I went there to check out.
Accessing the page is pretty fast but the main page is way too small and the two links are cut off on the left side.
But still you can access the chessboard.
However, the main view is again very small (the size of a stamp) so you cannot even select the pieces and I didn't find the option (if there's any) to increase the size. So I switched to the landscape view. This is better but still too small... it would be great to have an autofit option.
You probably know that the iphone is all driven by tapping with your fingers. Unfortunately Shredder doesn't support the one click to select the piece and another click for the destination so I was not able to play a game because I cannot select the piece and keep it selected and put it down on the destination square (I don't have a right click option on my finger ;-)).
next time I'll try to take some pictures so you'll have a better idea how it looks like.
I've seen in screenshots that with Shredder for mobile you can select the piece you want to move and the destination.
Maybe someone who owns an iphone will be able to do a better testing.
But it's great to see that you're always on the edge of technology.

This is just a link about the iphone launch last week in NYC
iphone madness

Thanks
Andre
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Patatov wrote:Hey Stefan,

You probably know that the iphone is all driven by tapping with your fingers.
It's called Multi-Touch Technology, I wrote a piece on it a while back. You can also find a cool video posted at the link below.

http://tedsummers.com/
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by kwlakey »

Good for you Ted.
smk

Post by smk »

Hi Andre,

thanks a lot for your help.

I thought that you can drag and drop the pieces on the iPhone, but it seems we have to add a click-click mode.

It sounds strange that the board is too small. The applet should have a fixed size of about 320x320px which should perfectly fit the iPhones's screen. Maybe the iPhone you have used was in some kind of zooming mode. We have to investigate this further.

Stefan
Patatov

Post by Patatov »

Well... let me then do further test over the week end... I was not very familiar with this nice new device and maybe someone modified the default settings.
The Apple Store is open 24/24 so I'll probably stop by...
Enrico

Post by Enrico »

smk wrote:Hi Andre,

I thought that you can drag and drop the pieces on the iPhone, but it seems we have to add a click-click mode.

It sounds strange that the board is too small. The applet should have a fixed size of about 320x320px which should perfectly fit the iPhones's screen. Maybe the iPhone you have used was in some kind of zooming mode. We have to investigate this further.

Stefan
Hello Stefan.

I will test it this weekend and send you some screenshots. I have been too busy to do much with the phone since I got it, but this weekend should yield plenty of 'tinkering' time.

Ciao,

-elc.
Mark

Post by Mark »

smk wrote:Hi Andre,

Stefan
I tried it out on my iPhone and although the board starts out very small, it can be expanded easily to fit the screen. I'd be glad to be a tester when you get the click-click move entry incorporated.

Mark
smk

Post by smk »

Thanks to all for the kind help.

We have (hopefully) fixed the size issue, the click-click input will be next.

Too bad the iPhone is not yet available here in Europe.

Stefan
Mark

Post by Mark »

smk wrote:Thanks to all for the kind help.

We have (hopefully) fixed the size issue, the click-click input will be next.

Too bad the iPhone is not yet available here in Europe.

Stefan
New board looks great!

Thanks,

Mark