millennium dedicated chess computer

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

millennium dedicated chess computer

Post by mclane »

anybody made any kind of experiences with these strange computers ?

difficult to find any information about them. not even on the homepage of
the company.
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Re: millennium dedicated chess computer

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Hello Thorsten,

Do you mean these? It is claimed here they are made by the original manufacturers of Mephisto, that would be Hegener & Glaser? Are they still in business as such?

http://www.classicchessandgames.com/Mil ... elM120.htm

http://www.classicchessandgames.com/Mil ... elM182.htm

mclane

Post by mclane »

after H+G went bancrott, Weiner and Hegener made Millennium, as far as i am informed, and sell cheap dedicated units, maybe with Chrilly Donninger software into it ?!
(finally chrilly can show if he can compete with richard, ed, dave or julio and frans) :-)

what i miss is a LIST with the names of the machines, their hardware and their RAM ROM capacity and the playing strength. seems those machines do not interest anybody.
what a pity. even on the homepage of the company i can see no list of their products with technical data. or ?

you gave a link for #182:
there it says
Estimated rating of 2100
if that would be true (i doubt)
than it would be a very good chess computer. so i wonder why nobody pays attention. i would like to hear some of the advertising information done by Ossi Weiner, as done in the good old times.

e.g. it sounds very much like a contradiction that such a strong chess computer can only look for mate in 2 :-)))))))))))))))))))))))

ok : there is a list:

http://www.computerchess.com/millennium ... t=0&data=1

for english language:
http://www.computerchess.com/millennium ... ata=1&chk=

this modell looks interesting from the colors...

i like it especially in red color:

here more exciting news:

sure we all know this guy...
Ossi Weiner (born 1953) has a master degree as an engineer, was winner of the Munich chess championship several times and a first league player for many years. 1977 he was the founder of the first German chess-school and became a well-known author of many books and articles about computer chess. After founding the "Münchner Schachverlag" he established the "Weiner Vertriebs GmbH" in 1983, which continuously grew to the leading distribution enterprise of the industry.
and this guy too...

Manfred Hegener (born 1939) has a master degree in business administration with decades of experience in the electronics business. He was 1968 founder of an innovative company in munich, which developed the first German chess computer back in 1980 and became world market leader in this area a few years later.
but now the sad news:
Chess Software - discontinued
The rapid business expansion at MILLENNIUM 2000 (with the growth rate exceeding 300% over the last 3 years), as well as the fact that this positive trend is continuing, has led to a point where the entire company is required to strongly focus on the growth potential in its core business (chess computers, electronic games and consumer products). Subsequently, this must lead to a spin-off of any fringe business not able to fully support the necessary growth, specifically in those areas which require massive resources (human and otherwise) urgently needed elsewhere. The ongoing, generally negative trend in the software market is caused by various factors, such as the increasing market saturation and the problem of copyright infringement and software piracy which remains unsolved.
After two extremely successful decades in the high end computer chess sector, the management of MILLENNIUM 2000 GmbH have, through their representatives Manfred Hegener und Ossi Weiner, therefore taken the painful decision to discontinue their engagement in this area. As a consequence, the three-time computer chess world champion Stefan Meyer-Kahlen will use other ways for marketing his future world champion programs. In the lower price range of consumer products (the so-called 'department store versions'), we will continue our successful partnership with Stefan Meyer-Kahlen.
We would like to express our sincere gratitude to Stefan Meyer-Kahlen for the successful co-operation and would also like to thank our MILLENNIUM software customers in Germany as well as abroad for their loyal and long-standing support.
Robert Weck

Post by Robert Weck »

Hi Thorsten,

the Millenium machines are rather weak; i doubt, that they have more than 1400 ELO.

They often give pieces for nothing, so mate-in-2 could really be their limit.

just check this game:
http://www.schach-computer.info/wiki/in ... ouch_Chess

The best is the fact, that at least they have an opening library (but i don't know about the size and quality)

The program can also be found in many chess computers by different companies (e.g. Excalibur, Systema, Krypton), so i doubt, that Millenium developed it!

best regards,
Robert
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

Robert Weck wrote:Hi Thorsten,

the Millenium machines are rather weak; i doubt, that they have more than 1400 ELO.

They often give pieces for nothing, so mate-in-2 could really be their limit.

just check this game:
http://www.schach-computer.info/wiki/in ... ouch_Chess

The best is the fact, that at least they have an opening library (but i don't know about the size and quality)

The program can also be found in many chess computers by different companies (e.g. Excalibur, Systema, Krypton), so i doubt, that Millenium developed it!

best regards,
Robert
i have had contact with Ossi Wiener several years ago

he wanted to sell me a Fidelity computer that competed in the Almeria WC ..it was a one of a kind tournament machine
it was housed in the same casings as the Excel Mach computers
i remember he wanted 2000 Euro for it and it was not even working!

i of course declined regards
Steve
mclane

Post by mclane »

machines are rather weak; i doubt, that they have more than 1400 ELO.
they would not lie on their website, would they ?

it seems i am a little in the summer-depression. nothing happens. they are all at the beach swimming instead of working for us :-)

i don't even know WHAT to buy in the moment :-)

no shredder to buy.
nothing new under the sun.

isn't it a pity that this company, strong and rich in the past, is now selling
"wellness products" and dedicated units that are less strong than mephisto III (if your estimated rating with the 1400 ELO would be true) ??

Weiner could ask Nitsche + Henne to write another Mephisto III version for his new chess computers and the past and the future would be a perfect circle. be back where you started.

I wonder how weiner came into the property of the fidelity machines...
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

mclane wrote:

it seems i am a little in the summer-depression. nothing happens. they are all at the beach swimming instead of working for us :-)

no shredder to buy.

"wellness products" and dedicated units that are less strong than mephisto III (if your estimated rating with the 1400 ELO would be true) ??

Weiner could ask Nitsche + Henne to write another Mephisto III version for his new chess computers and the past and the future would be a perfect circle. be back where you started.

well he was present at the WC in Almeria for Mephisto
so i imagine he maybe made a deal with Samole or even they swapped computers

Wiener would be interesting to talk to because he was involved with the hobby from the business aspect from the beginning but i always found him very short and to the point in our emails

perhaps it was uncomfortable for him to converse in English which i cannot blame him

Steve
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

mclane wrote:

no shredder to buy.

Hello Thorsten,

Nothing happening, well no, but it is a pity we don't hear much from Fruit I think, Fabien Letouzey and Ryan Benitez. Total radio silence? But your settings for Fruit were doing well in the last Sempron tournament. Fruit only needed one point from three games to overtake Rybka 2.3.2 there. Any more news about that tournament?

The latest Rybka I think is still not without some slight bugs, I wonder if the 2.3.2a version will be the last :), some people I think hope this will not be the last version in the two series..

Soon there will be a new Alaric! The Dann.book I think is not working yet in the UCI version from Peter Fendrich but I think he can fix that. Alaric is maybe not as strong as Glaurung but it is a dangerous opponent!

I found a Dutch page with the collection chesscomputers of Tom Luif, who has a few of these Millennium chesscomputers too. Most only seem to play at beginners level.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~tluif/chescom/intro.html

This is the strongest computer in his collection that I own myself, the CXG Titan with a program by Kaare Danielsen, probably the same as in the CXG Super Enterprise:

Eelco
mclane

Post by mclane »

you computer has the DOMINATOR case, that came with frans morschs engine.

of course it can be that they also made other engines for this case.
Robert Weck

Post by Robert Weck »

Steve B wrote: i have had contact with Ossi Wiener several years ago

he wanted to sell me a Fidelity computer that competed in the Almeria WC ..it was a one of a kind tournament machine
it was housed in the same casings as the Excel Mach computers
i remember he wanted 2000 Euro for it and it was not even working!
2003 in Kaufbeuren former collector Jan Stroeher owned and operated a "Fidelity Almeria"; maybe it was this machine?

the most remarkable was the game against the Sparc, which went for 164 moves, until the Fidelity had won.

Btw.: from move 135 the Fidelity was already with KQ against KBP ahead!

the tournament director Franz Wiesenecker was very annoyed, because this game took so much time... :wink:

best regards,
Robert