Rybka not considered best by rival programmers?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

bedouin

Rybka not considered best by rival programmers?

Post by bedouin »

The guys who program Fritz and Junior gave a press conference at http://globalchess.eu/main.php?id=65 They appear to know about chess and openings but don't consider rybka as the best.

Q: What is your reaction to the letter from the creator of Rybka, who is challenging the winner of this match?

Shai Bushinsky: This open letter was distributed a day before we went to Elista. It is difficult to understand the timing and the content of the letter. Junior and Rybka participated in the World Championship in Turin, and the results are well known. I cannot recall a precedent from the history of chess, in which one top player gambled with another one in a winner-takes-all match. If there was a serious sponsor, then we could consider playing such match. However, no sponsor is mentioned in the letter. Also, the letter is addressed to Kirsan Ilyumzhinov, who has many excellent qualities but has never written a chess engine, as far as I know. It is very strange that the letter is addressed to him.

A.K.: Rybka is not a reigning World Champion, and Junior is. There was a similar situation when Bobby Fischer considered himself a champion, but did not want to play in a qualification. Maybe Rybka is the strongest program in the world, however it has to win the championship to prove it.

Q: Do you consider Rybka being among, let’s say, top three or top five chess engines?

S.B., A.B.: Yes. Rybka shared the 2nd-3rd places in the World Championship in 2006.
Uri Blass

Re: Rybka not considered best by rival programmers?

Post by Uri Blass »

bedouin wrote:The guys who program Fritz and Junior gave a press conference at http://globalchess.eu/main.php?id=65 They appear to know about chess and openings but don't consider rybka as the best.
No
I did not find a single place when they claimed that rybka is not the best.

Alexander Kure is also not the guy who programmed Fritz so that guy did not express an opinion there.

Uri
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

bedouin wrote:The guys who program Fritz and Junior gave a press conference at http://globalchess.eu/main.php?id=65 They appear to know about chess and openings but don't consider rybka as the best.
Let's put it this way. If they can't humble themselves to admit that Rybka is the strongest engine at present, they must be seriously deluded. They'd certainly get laughed out of here!
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

As they only mention the WCCC as being the right tournament to evaluate the rankings in the chess computer world, the problem is already solved: Rybka is the 2007 champion :-)
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

Graham Banks wrote:
Let's put it this way. If they can't humble themselves to admit that Rybka is the strongest engine at present, they must be seriously deluded. They'd certainly get laughed out of here!
There was no such question asked. If someone ask you, have you ever stolen from your employer? You wouldnt tell them the story about you stealing a candy from the grocery store when you were five, would you?
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Tony Thomas wrote:There was no such question asked.
Then there's nothing to worry about! :P :wink:
bedouin

Post by bedouin »

Tony Thomas wrote:There was no such question asked. If someone ask you, have you ever stolen from your employer? You wouldnt tell them the story about you stealing a candy from the grocery store when you were five, would you?
The way I understood it is that Rybka at the point the interview was conducted had not won the championship and so they pointed to its 2-3rd place in the previous World Championship. They did however consider it among the top 3 or 5 programs in the world. As Jeroen has added now Rybka has won the championship so that viewpoint is no longer correct.

Was it in order for FIDE to stage that competition at that time meaning Junior and Fritz would miss the World Championship (David Levi President of the ICGA was arbiter. The ICGA also hold the computer championship)? Shouldn't the ICGA/FIDE treat these things more seriously unless they want to recreate the mess of Kasparov breaking away etc?
Daniel Mehrmann
Full name: Daniel Mehrmann

Post by Daniel Mehrmann »

Alexander Kure is also not the guy who programmed Fritz so that guy did not express an opinion there.

Uri
"and Alexander Kure, representing the team Deep Fritz"

You have to accept this. He is offical representing the Fritz team. If he is a programmer or not is meanless, the conference wasn't about chessprogramming, it was about marketing and buisness in computerchess.

Best,
Daniel
pijl

Post by pijl »

Jeroen wrote:As they only mention the WCCC as being the right tournament to evaluate the rankings in the chess computer world, the problem is already solved: Rybka is the 2007 champion :-)
Only because Junior and Fritz were not there :wink:
Richard.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Daniel Mehrmann wrote:

Uri
"and Alexander Kure, representing the team Deep Fritz"

You have to accept this. He is offical representing the Fritz team. If he is a programmer or not is meanless, the conference wasn't about chessprogramming, it was about marketing and buisness in computerchess.

Best,
Daniel
I responded to something and I even quoted what I responded
Here is the full post of me.

Here is the full post of me

bedouin wrote:
The guys who program Fritz and Junior gave a press conference at http://globalchess.eu/main.php?id=65 They appear to know about chess and openings but don't consider rybka as the best.

No
I did not find a single place when they claimed that rybka is not the best.

Uri

Note that
bedouin wrote:
The guys who program Fritz and Junior gave a press conference

This was not correct and I responded by

Uri