Linux Frustration

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

fern

Linux Frustration

Post by fern »

No way: have downloaded two versions of Linux, uncompressed them to a Cd rom, tried to use it to install it in my old machine and....nothing. The bloody program has not even one executable file from which you can do something. You just get a bunch of bloody files useful for nothing.
In have already been told how a nuisance this OS was just to be installed and I see now they were right.
I jumped over the bloody disks and returned to old, good windows 95 for my Armada.

Nuts and geeks and savvy computer people can counts with my hate regards
fernando
Volker Pittlik
Full name: Volker Pittlik

Re: Linux Frustration

Post by Volker Pittlik »

fern wrote:...
In have already been told how a nuisance this OS was just to be installed and I see now they were right....
You have managed to confirm your bias, therefore I don't know what you are complaining about.

The last time I installed Linux I did the following:
1. download one of the major distributions (Ubuntu, SuSE, Fedora, Debian...),
2. burn it on CDs or DVDs
3. insert the medium again (installation routine starts by itself)
4. type some information as your name
5. wait until installation process has finished

I never had trouble with the OS since then.

vp
mariaclara

Post by mariaclara »

:D
Hello,

may i please inquire, what chess programs work with ubuntu.

no matter what they say about ubuntu,

i plan to install ubuntu the moment i receive their free cd. :D

regards :wink: :wink: :wink:

................. Mu Shin ..........................
Volker Pittlik

Post by Volker Pittlik »

mariaclara wrote::D
Hello,

may i please inquire, what chess programs work with ubuntu.
...:
I'm aware of one that does not work: Queen because it depends on some Windows specific files. Almost every engine coming with source code runs on Linux. At the moment I run

Fruit (Toga) 1.2.1a
Ruffian 2.1.0
Spike 1.2 Turin
Scorpio 1.91
Glaurung 2-epsilon/2
Glaurung 2-epsilon/3
Alaric 704
Shredder Classic 1.3
Crafty-21.5
Yace Paderborn
Arasan 9.5
Hermann 2.0
GreKo 5.3
phalanx
BBChess 1.10
Flux-0.9
Natwarlal v0.14
Alf v1.08
prophet_2
Mediocre v0.33
Buzz May 8 2007
HoiChess 0.9.0
POS

These programs run for sure. Please notice that Alaric as a Windows only program runs with the help of wine. As far as I know from reading only Also Shredder, Hiarcs and the commercial Rybka do work, but no guarabtee from my side.

The beta version of Rybka runs with the help of wine but hangs at the end of the game (at least here) and therefore can't be used in automated tournaments. This may happen to other Windows programs too. Usually they work with wine but after an uncertain number of games a crash may occur.

In general it is considered as a good precondition if you are not afraid of the command line and willing to read some FAQs for example if you plan to run Linux.

Volker
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

I have used Ubuntu, Fedora, and Suse Linux Distributions. I have had no problems installing it on 32bit systems at all from Desktops to Laptops. Just download your distro's ISO image file and burn it to disc (DVD or CD) using most current disc burning software.

Using Wine I have installed both Arena and Shredder 10. I have used both programs to install and play Rybka, Toga, Spike, Glaurung, Crafty, and Fruit to name just a few. I have also used Jose, Winboard, Scid, and Jin chess programs that are Linux native for Online, Database, and Analysis preposes.

All the Distro's are good, however if you have never used Linux before, then you might also want to take a look at PCLinux. I would suggest you try some LiveCD's first, if at least to gain a basic idea of how each distro works and functions before going any farther.

I myself, has a good liking for Ubuntu 7.10, and Fedora 7. Hope this helps you some.
Last edited by AdminX on Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by K I Hyams »

fern wrote:No way: have downloaded two versions of Linux, uncompressed them to a Cd rom, tried to use it to install it in my old machine and....nothing. The bloody program has not even one executable file from which you can do something. You just get a bunch of bloody files useful for nothing.
In have already been told how a nuisance this OS was just to be installed and I see now they were right.
I jumped over the bloody disks and returned to old, good windows 95 for my Armada.

Nuts and geeks and savvy computer people can counts with my hate regards
fernando
If you want a preliminary look at Linux, burn an iso file to make a live CD. Put the CD into your drive and reboot – Linux starts.

MAKE SURE that you burn it as an iso file – make sure you activate that option in your CD burner software.

The version of Linux I would use is Puppy Linux, only about 90Mb and user friendly.
puppy-2.16.1-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso

This version has Abiword as word processor. Chubby Puppy Linux has the full Open Office – an application comparable with the best from Microsoft.

Burning the iso is easy, the problem is getting your printer and scanner to work. Drivers for your scanner and printer may or may not be available on the Internet. There is also a lot to learn – Linux is nowhere near as user friendly as Windows. You need time patience and motivation to get on top of this.
Last edited by K I Hyams on Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

PS: If you lived in the Atlanta, GA area, I would be glad to meet you somewhere and install it for you. If not, then you can always try to locate a local Linux users group in your area, where I am sure you can find someone who will install it for you for free of course. :)

Post by Volker Pittlik »

AdminX wrote:...
Using Wine I have installed both Arena and Shredder 10. I have used both programs to install and play Rybka, Toga, Spike, Glaurung, Crafty, and Fruit to name just a few. ...
How did you manage that? It installs fine here. Also the engines are found. But if I would like to start a tournament or only an engine alone nothing happens.

Volker
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

On my Ubuntu system I used Synaptic Package Manager to install Wine. Then using Shredder 10 as an example I opened a terminal window and typed the following:

wine /home/AdminX/Desktop/SetupShredder10.exe

Please note to change your path to the location of your setup file. I hope this helps. By the way, yes I used my windows version of Shredder. Still looking for a way to get Hiarcs to function. I have a problem when it wants to register under wine. Hiarcs will not take my registration key there, only works in Windows.

Post by Volker Pittlik »

AdminX wrote:On my Ubuntu system I Synaptic Package Manager to install Wine. Then using Shredder 10 as an example I opened a terminal window and typed the following:....
The installation is not the problem. The problem is that the engines don't play under Arena. The debug says: "Invalid command line" when I try to start an engine...

Volker