ESN - Emanuel's Simple Notation - Represent any chess position in only two words!

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

OfekShochat
Full name: ghostway

Re: ESN - Emanuel's Simple Notation - Represent any chess position in only two words!

Post by OfekShochat »

klx wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:02 pm 2. There are 40,000 one-word positions available (not Pig Latin, that's a really stupid idea). I will sell these for $39.95 each. This will bring in $1.6 million which I will use to power Emanuel's Notation Service (it will be run as an AWS Lambda), and buy a Lamborghini.

"Emanuel Premium" is only $9.99 / month.
ok now Im convinced you are trolling us really hard. congrats man, it worked
amanjpro
Full name: Amanj Sherwany

Re: ESN - Emanuel's Simple Notation - Represent any chess position in only two words!

Post by amanjpro »

Next topic idea: meet Emanuerghini a revolutionary Lamborghini alternative
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

This reminds of a tiktok trend where people guess "What she does for a living?". Then in the next video she goes and does that job.
People, I tell you Emanuel, as the name implies, is God sent -- to save us lowly chess programmers with his revolutionary ideas!
BrokenKeyboard
Full name: Het Satasiya

Post by BrokenKeyboard »

You do realize that there are far more than 1 billion chess positions. 61885021521585518997 is perft 14 from the start position. Your idea is smart, but cant even scratch the surface.
odomobo
Full name: Josh Odom

Post by odomobo »

"Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should."
AndrewGrant
Full name: Andrew Grant

Post by AndrewGrant »

klx wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:02 pm This led me to the design: An online service -- Emanuel's Notation Service -- which takes as input a chess position and returns back two, hitherto unused, random words. Internally, it then stores a mapping between the chess position and these words. So when someone later requests a position like "family pottery", the original position is looked up and returned. Similarly, the same chess position will be mapped to the same two words.
klx wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:02 pm 2. There are 40,000 one-word positions available (not Pig Latin, that's a really stupid idea). I will sell these for $39.95 each. This will bring in $1.6 million which I will use to power Emanuel's Notation Service (it will be run as an AWS Lambda), and buy a Lamborghini.
Firstly, no need to call the idea stupid! Its already up and running, and is a daily tool for chess enthusiaststs.

Secondly, I already run a service for converting Positions to PigLatin, and PigLatin to Positions. Andrew's Notational Archived Lookup (ANAL) has been running and being used by chess fans, just like you, since I arrived on the Computer Chess scene nearly a decade ago. You would be hard pressed to find someone who does not use and enjoy Andrew's Notational Archived Lookup.
#WeAreAllDraude #JusticeForDraude #RememberDraude #LeptirBigUltra
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )
gaard
Full name: Martin W

Post by gaard »

Daniel Shawul wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:33 pm This reminds of a tiktok trend where people guess "What she does for a living?". Then in the next video she goes and does that job.
People, I tell you Emanuel, as the name implies, is God sent -- to save us lowly chess programmers with his revolutionary ideas!
My guess is: accountant

klx
Full name: Emanuel Torres

Post by klx »

BrokenKeyboard wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:03 pm Your idea is smart
I know.

It's hard to be humble when you're as talented as I am, but I think I do a pretty darn good job!
[Moderation warning] This signature violated the rule against commercial exhortations.
klx
Full name: Emanuel Torres

Post by klx »

AndrewGrant wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:36 am I already run a service for converting Positions to PigLatin, and PigLatin to Positions. Andrew's Notational Archived Lookup (ANAL)
Hmmmm.... I'm skeptical about this!

So I've been thinking about this idea all day. And I realized something BIG.

Why limit this to chess positions? It can be used to share any string of text, or any other media for that matter. Have you ever wanted to share let's say a piece of code or a photo between two devices? My service would turn those into two plain words which are trivally shared. No more long URLs which need to be transcribed or shared separately.

This is really huge. For starters, it could replace the "What 3 Words" geolocation service with just 2 words. Sure you'll need an Internet connection to connect to the Emanuel service, but you would need that anyway to download that app. As a reminder, that company is valued at around half a billion USD. And my invention would eclipse theirs, with just a peripheral use case of the Emanuel.

Monetization is trivial through the methods I mentioned previously (Emanuel Premium and selling words), and also ads for non-paying users.

Growth potential is enormous, since I can add more languages to expand into other regions.

I will keep it simple and just call my service Emanuel.

Forget chess programming! You will see me next on the cover of Forbes magazine!
[Moderation warning] This signature violated the rule against commercial exhortations.
AndrewGrant
Full name: Andrew Grant

Post by AndrewGrant »

klx wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:33 am I will keep it simple and just call my service Emanuel.
Excellent. But you should stop sharing your secrets here on talkchess, before someone steals your ideas and beats you to the patent office. I suggest you never post here again in order to protect your future business ventures.
#WeAreAllDraude #JusticeForDraude #RememberDraude #LeptirBigUltra
"Those who can't do, clone instead" - Eduard ( A real life friend, not this forum's Eduard )