programmers wanted for new chess repertoire making tools

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Jonathan003
Full name: Jonathan Cremers

programmers wanted for new chess repertoire making tools

Post by Jonathan003 »

I'm looking for some skilled programmers to share some ideas with. To build some tools to easy make repertoires for over the board games. Because I think this is a big gap in the marked.
So, if someone is interested please let me know.
maksimKorzh
Full name: Maksim Korzh

Re: programmers wanted for new chess repertoire making tools

Post by maksimKorzh »

Jonathan003 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:48 pm I'm looking for some skilled programmers to share some ideas with. To build some tools to easy make repertoires for over the board games. Because I think this is a big gap in the marked.
So, if someone is interested please let me know.
It would be nice if you tell a bit more about your projects and requirements.
Jonathan003

Post by Jonathan003 »

Hi Maxim,

Thanks for your response and your interest in this topic.
Did you ever try to make a repertoire for over the board games? It is a very time-consuming task if you want to do this good. And it is hard to keep track what you already covered and what you still have to cover. I want to avoid having to spend many hours and hours selecting lines manually. There exists no software for doing this efficiently.
There is a tool that can help
https://github.com/zcesur/opening-repertoire/issues
But the tool is not in active development.
Many of the Issues on the GitHub page are posts by me. This will give you some idea what I'm looking for in a repertoire building tool.
I want to build repertoires in pgn format (single games per opening lines), so I can import them in repertoire training tools like Chessable, Chessempo, Listudy...
I like Chess Position Trainer and I hope for a version 6 to be released, but I doubt if it will be released anytime soon, if ever...
I like the function in Chess Position Trainer to automatically jump to positions with more than one candidate moves for the side of the repertoire. To easily remove a candidate move. It is the function I use the most in Chess Position Trainer. One problem I have with Chess Position Trainer is that if I export a repertoire to pgn, there is an explosion of number of games. I think this is because of added transposition lines that were not in the original pgn games where the repertoire was created from. To solve this, I import and export back to pgn in Chess Opening Wizard. Then the number of games in the exported pgn is reasonable. But I don't like to have to do all these steps because I don't know exactly what they do. I would like the export to pgn in Chess Position Trainer (or any other repertoire making tool), would be exactly the same then the pgn imported to create the repertoire. Except the candidate moves that I deleted would not be in the exported pgn, and the lines I added to replace blunders would be included in the exported pgn (without changing the main lines and adding unnecessary transposition lines).
My purpose is that the variations ends when main openings theory ends. And to find the right balance between including too much opening lines, and not enough opening lines, (I have to be able to study it). I want the repertoire to follows the main lines Magnus Carlsen plays, (or some other example player). Just to fill in the gaps (lines that should be in the repertoire), I want to use some other model games, (engine games and games from strong players).
One problem I have noticed is that when using engine games to fill in the gaps, is that the opening lines or not always the best, (it depends on the opening book that was used).
I already know a way how I can do these steps. By using a tool called Makebook to create obk books, and converting these obk books to pgn with obk2bin or obk2pgn and removing the sidelines I don’t want by searching for games with a ‘?’ in the annotation.

To replace blunders (for the side of the repertoire), I also want to use the other model games, (engine games and games from strong players).
I have many more ideas but I need some time to formulate them better, and I'm not a programmer myself.
Jonathan003

Post by Jonathan003 »

I was not longer able to edit my post.
After the steps to remove sidelines with the tools Makebook an obk2bin I use. (This is the first step I do for building repertoires, before using any other software like Chess Position Trainer).
I'm looking for some way to further narrow down the repertoires, and replace blunder-lines (for the side of the repertoire).
Last edited by Jonathan003 on Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnWoe

Post by JohnWoe »

If the gig is paid then sure I can write code.
Otherwise no thanks.
maksimKorzh
Full name: Maksim Korzh

Post by maksimKorzh »

I think John fits this job better than I)
And yeah, I also really wonder that someone would be interested doing this for free.

I ones scraped 40k xiangqi games and turned every game into the opening line. You can have a look at that in the link below.

This is my approach - minimalist and straight forward. So to get what you want it's better to hire John)