nnue-trainer

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ferdy

Re: nnue-trainer

Post by Ferdy »

jdart wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:55 am I am aware of the random move options. Actually as I have posted before, the way gensfen does this seems to me unsound, because it will score the whole game with the ultimate result, even though a random move inserted in the middle can change the eval significantly, and so really then the previous positions shouldn't get the same result label as the positions after the random move.

I use random moves, but I invalidate any FEN records before the random move to avoid this issue. I have also tried a different method of randomization: once in a while, don't do a fixed depth search, do a fixed node search, with a number of nodes equal to the nodes in the previous search plus some random variation. This may or may not produce a different move than the fixed depth search, but it might. It is a bit like the indeterminacy you get from multi-threading. TBD if this helps or not: I have not done enough testing.
Sf pos generator saves the result and evaluation and the learner has option to use result or evaluation or a percentage between them, this is controlled by lambda option.