Quiescence Search doesn't improve strength

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

emadsen
Full name: Erik Madsen

Re: Quiescence Search doesn't improve strength

Post by emadsen »

lithander wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:21 pm So just adding QSearch to a material-only engine was +50 ELO, just adding PSTs provided +200 ELO despite the horizon effect. Finally the combination of PSTs + QSearch was worth +500 ELO in self play. Almost double of what the sum of it's parts would suggest.
Excellent. Thanks for running these tests. Convincing empirical evidence of the non-linear manner in which some chess engine features combine. Indeed the sum is much greater than the parts.
My C# chess engine: https://www.madchess.net
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

I am not surprised.
I guess that it boils down to branching factor.
A really good eval means a much better branching factor.
Even in pure alpha-beta, that can mean a huge speedup.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

Dann Corbit wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:26 amI guess that it boils down to branching factor.
A really good eval means a much better branching factor.
Actually, we had found the opposite to be true in this discussion because a more accurate eval gives more different evals and thus fewer beta cut-offs on the first try. What is at work here however is that while NPS decreases and BF / time to depth increase, the quality of these calculations increases considerably.
Rasmus Althoff
https://www.ct800.net
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

mvanthoor wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:35 pm
lithander wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:21 pm So just adding QSearch to a material-only engine was +50 ELO, just adding PSTs provided +200 ELO despite the horizon effect. Finally the combination of PSTs + QSearch was worth +500 ELO in self play. Almost double of what the sum of it's parts would suggest.
Cool :)
hgm wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:49 pm A surprisingly large cooperative effect. I would not have expected that.
It seems, when the engine thinks a bit deeper, the effect gets larger: in Rustic, I tested this effect PST+QSearch = +600 Elo over an engine that is material only without QSearch. That suggests that, in very simple engines without other evaluation terms, this effect gets larger when the engine can reach larger depths.
1)The effect get larget until it get smaller.
If you search deep enough to solve the game without PST+Qsearch then the effect in a direct match is 0 elo.

2)Elo difference is dependent also on the order of moves and I guess that there is a significant difference in the strength of only material evaluation based only on the move generator.