Tapered Evaluation and MSE (Texel Tuning)

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Pio

Re: Tapered Evaluation and MSE (Texel Tuning)

Post by Pio »

hgm wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:43 pm
Pio wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:37 pmI understand your point but making huge mispredictions might not be as bad as you think with an engine.
You don't think it bad if it values a Queen less than 2 Pawns? Have you tried that?
Who knows maybe two pawns are a lot more worth 😅 (and yes I am joking)

I guess using different K values for each state might cure their problems.
Desperado

Post by Desperado »

Pio wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:47 pm
Desperado wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:26 pm
Pio wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:37 pm
hgm wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:15 pm
Pio wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:51 amI am not so sure about that the test set should be as similar as possible to the nodes encountered by its search tree. Unbalanced positions are of course very helpful but positions where one side is leading by a huge amount will not be helpful since it is much more important for the engine to be able to make decisions where the score is even which is the case if you start out a game from the standard opening position.
Not really. The most important by far is that the engine will recognize the positions were one side is leading by a huge amount, and can then correctly identify who is leading. And valuing a Queen like 1.5 Pawn will not do much for recognizing totally won positions.

The following image sketches the problem:

The line that best fits the data points in some narrow range (the black points) will adapt its slope to get a marginally better prediction of the accidental vertical scatter. That line is no good for predicting the red points, though. For points sufficiently far from the region on which it was based, it doesn't even get the sign right. So the attempt to get a marginally better discrimination within the black range leads to total disaster in the wings. If you would have taken the red points into account during the fitting, you would have gotten a practical horizontal line, which does a good job everywhere, and is only marginally worse in the black area.

You see that happening here: piece values become non-sensical. This leads to huge mispredictions of heavilay won or lost positions that were left out of the test set, and gives you an engine that strives for forcing losing trades.
I understand your point but making huge mispredictions might not be as bad as you think with an engine. What is really important for an alpha beta search is to judge which positions are better than others from a set of positions close to each other. Of course when you search very deep, positions will become more and more different and it will be more important to judge very different positions.

I think that if Sven or Desperado would determine different K values for the different phases, they wouldn’t get their strange results.

Minimising the absolute error instead of squared error will make the tuning more robust to labelling errors and will make the evaluation prediction better but might make the search worse, but I really don’t know.

Also putting more weight to the end will automatically make the positions more unbalanced since usually wins comes from unbalanced positions and draws from more balanced positions.
Hello Pio,

i need to be more detailed at another time. But of course i played around with the loss function and of course i used different K Values.
Some have been reported with some setups and measurements. Conclusion, it keeps to be the data. (It keeps to be like that when i do not restrict the tuner in a way, that it stops early although there might be another mse. Another observation was that the result
became better when using stable(some kind of quiet) positions and full evaluation. It was observable that the pawn value got normal,
and the tuner was able to map the imbalance into other evaluation paramters)

I do not have the numbers at hand for quiet-labeled.epd, but you pointed out for several times that you would use positions more related to an endgame phase. I agree with you that the correlation between the position properties and the result gets stronger. The idea is not bad at all, but i have some
different thoughts on that too. The known quiet-labeled.epd, if i remember correctly, meets the requirements more than the data that was discussed in this thread. I will come back to this topic but in the other thread about training data. Maybe tomorrow.

@HG
I never realized that the people talk about another essential part of the data. The result of a game is strongly influenced by the chess playing
entity. There should be some kind of independency of that fact. We can easily build a database where 3000 elo engines play with handicap against 2000 Elo engines and we would learn that playing with a queen less or a rook less the winning probability will rise ;-) :-).

Currently i build my own tuning algorithm that will address some intersting topics on that (at least for me).
I report later in the other thread. Maybe tomorrow too.
What I meant using many K values was that you determine as many K values as you have phases so you will have to determine 24 K values each corresponding to one phase. In that way you will have a good mapping between centipawn values and win probabilities for each phase. As it is now you and everyone else makes the assumption that you have the same centipawn to probability mapping for each phase. When you have determined each K value for each phase you will use the K value that corresponds to the position’s phase while minimising the error. So when you sum up the errors over your entire dataset you will use all 24 different K values.
Ah, ok, now i get your idea. Interesting! Well, indeed, i did not checked that. It might help, but it does not address the quiet criterion which is essential part of a better solution. I, for myself, am pretty satisfied that i already found two major reasons, that lead to somehow normal results.
More stable(quiet) positions and the target evaluation needs to be flexible in some way to shift imbalance to the right place.

I learned, that i need to prepare trainingdata very well if i don't want to take well known ressources.
And of course it is very important to learn the propertiers the data should include...

However, good point!
Pio

Post by Pio »

hgm wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:15 pm
Pio wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:51 amI am not so sure about that the test set should be as similar as possible to the nodes encountered by its search tree. Unbalanced positions are of course very helpful but positions where one side is leading by a huge amount will not be helpful since it is much more important for the engine to be able to make decisions where the score is even which is the case if you start out a game from the standard opening position.
Not really. The most important by far is that the engine will recognize the positions were one side is leading by a huge amount, and can then correctly identify who is leading. And valuing a Queen like 1.5 Pawn will not do much for recognizing totally won positions.

The following image sketches the problem:

The line that best fits the data points in some narrow range (the black points) will adapt its slope to get a marginally better prediction of the accidental vertical scatter. That line is no good for predicting the red points, though. For points sufficiently far from the region on which it was based, it doesn't even get the sign right. So the attempt to get a marginally better discrimination within the black range leads to total disaster in the wings. If you would have taken the red points into account during the fitting, you would have gotten a practical horizontal line, which does a good job everywhere, and is only marginally worse in the black area.

You see that happening here: piece values become non-sensical. This leads to huge mispredictions of heavilay won or lost positions that were left out of the test set, and gives you an engine that strives for forcing losing trades.
There might be other reasons why they get strange results:
1) Using only one K value
2) having an over representation of draws
3) using the squared error function that will encourage mapping more or less everything drawish especially when you use positions far from end result where the positions might not correlate so well with the end result.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

Pio wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:47 pm What I meant using many K values was that you determine as many K values as you have phases so you will have to determine 24 K values each corresponding to one phase. In that way you will have a good mapping between centipawn values and win probabilities for each phase. As it is now you and everyone else makes the assumption that you have the same centipawn to probability mapping for each phase. When you have determined each K value for each phase you will use the K value that corresponds to the position’s phase while minimising the error. So when you sum up the errors over your entire dataset you will use all 24 different K values.
Have you tried that method of tuning that is using 24 K values?
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Pio wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:47 pmWhat I meant using many K values was that you determine as many K values as you have phases so you will have to determine 24 K values each corresponding to one phase. In that way you will have a good mapping between centipawn values and win probabilities for each phase. As it is now you and everyone else makes the assumption that you have the same centipawn to probability mapping for each phase. When you have determined each K value for each phase you will use the K value that corresponds to the position’s phase while minimising the error. So when you sum up the errors over your entire dataset you will use all 24 different K values.
I don't think this is a good idea at all. Altering the K value is the same as scaling all centi-Pawn eval parameters by the same factor, and it would be more illuminating to do that. And providing 24 independent parameters for that almost certainly will lead to overfitting. It is more likely than not that there is a somewhat continuous dependence of the parameter on the game phase (of which the linear tapering is the most common choice). You could try to improve that to parabolic tapering, but allowing arbitrary wild fluctuations for every piece that gets traded will do mor harm than good (by making each of the parameters less accurately defined).

Furthermore, there is no reason to assume that the required tuning only depends on the game phase as defined now; a game phase with two Rooks could require very different parameters from one with four minors. And why be blind to the number of Pawns? A more sensible approach would be to use the weights (Q=4, R=2, B=N=1, P=0) used to determine the games phase as tunable parameters. And rather than taking a quadratic dependence on an overall phase, use a phase that contains second order terms for the individual pieces, like the product of the number of Pawns and the number or combined weight of the other pieces.
Desperado

Post by Desperado »

Well, at least it would be interesting to see how these numbers would look like. That might give some other ideas.
hgm

Post by hgm »

Desperado wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:43 am@HG if there is something wrong in the complete scenario, then it would certainly be the human made assumption that the lowest mse leads to always better gameplay. The tuner or the tuning algorithm only provides this information. It does not tell anybody that the result will perform better in gameplay. You simply do not ask the question to him, you only ask how the best vector would look like for a given data set. That is basically a different question.
Completely true. Even with a set of test positions that is representative for what an engine encounters in its search, this could be a problem. In fact there is no guarantee that the objectively best evaluation will result in the best play. (Sven already mentioned that.) E.g. a very good evaluation could be able to predict very accurately which side is better in tactically complex situations. But an engine could systematically lose in such situations, because its search makes it tactically inept. Or in a field of equally inept engines, it would score only aboout 50% even from the good ones, because it is just a toss-up which of the players will blunder. So it would then get more Elo by scoring tactically complex positions as 50%, an intentionally wrong prediction for the results of high-level play.

If you would tune on positions from the engine's own games, however, you might not have this problem.
hgm

Post by hgm »

Sven wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:52 pmIt is unlikely to find "the minimum MSE" with Texel tuning. The algorithm stops at a local minimum of the MSE, and there may be several of that kind. It seems you ignore this fact.
A good optimizer should not get stuck in local optima. And note that for terms in which the evaluation is linear (like most terms in hand-crafted evaluations, and certainly the piece values) there shouldn't be any local optima at all. I don't think the sigmoid correction can change that, as it is equivalent to fitting the centi-Pawn scores with a deminishing weight for the scores far from zero.
Desperado

Post by Desperado »

hgm wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:04 pm
Sven wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:52 pmIt is unlikely to find "the minimum MSE" with Texel tuning. The algorithm stops at a local minimum of the MSE, and there may be several of that kind. It seems you ignore this fact.
A good optimizer should not get stuck in local optima. And note that for terms in which the evaluation is linear (like most terms in hand-crafted evaluations, and certainly the piece values) there shouldn't be any local optima at all. I don't think the sigmoid correction can change that, as it is equivalent to fitting the centi-Pawn scores with a deminishing weight for the scores far from zero.
@Sven
It is not the tuner's goal to find the local minimum. This is merely the result of the fact that the algorithm cannot prevent it in general. In the course of this topic it could also be shown that it was not the algorithm that led to being stuck in a specific local minimum, but its configuration. The algorithm leaves some local minima if the step size can also deviate from one unit. A parameter of the algorithm is not the algorithm.

I can understand rejecting a vector with a minimal MSE if reasons exist in the overall context. (for example Elo regression or maybe other reasons).

The reason to ignore a MSE that exists but is achieved with other parameters is not one of them. (that was my first impression from your answer).
Last edited by Desperado on Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pio

Post by Pio »

hgm wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:04 pm
I am not so sure about that. I think the use of different K, absolute error and weigh positions close to en result will contribute to much more reasonable values. I don’t think anything is wrong with their optimisers.

We will see 😁