Hardware problems again?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Henk

Re: Hardware problems again?

Post by Henk »

Don't think it is hard disk making noise.

Should be fan:

Options:
1) set processor power state to less than 100%
2) buy compressed air
3) replace the fan
4) buy earplugs
5) use vacuum cleaner again

option 1 only helps a bit
Henk

Post by Henk »

Compressed air did not help. Maybe it is not the fan?

Fast hard disk test gave no errors. Long test makes me wait for ages. Maybe I could repeat that step when I don't want to use my notebook for a long time.

No I think must be noise of fan when in rest state. For when fan works harder noise changes and then I don't hear that irritating humming waving whining sound.

Difficult to describe the sound it is more a soft humming (but very irritating) sound getting louder when processor is more in use until fan is spinning fast and then I don't hear it.
Joost Buijs

Post by Joost Buijs »

Notebooks are not very suitable to run lengthy calculations on, at least not on the average notebook.
They have very tiny (few cm. circ.) low quality fans with sleeve bearings and they always start making noise after some time.
Probably the bearings are making noise, one of the reasons that I never use notebooks.
Daniel Anulliero

Post by Daniel Anulliero »

Remember it happened to me the last year , when I did some texel tuning ( many computations) my notebook was very hot and a strange noise also.
I've changed the thermal paste and now It seems ok.
Also now I use another external small fan
Isa download :
Henk

Post by Henk »

My notebook is a HP Pavillion Laptop 14-CE1XXX according to HP support assistant. Causing this trouble and only 1.5 years old.

Hope I installed a wrong driver. But probably not the case. So only solution left is to ignore the noise and when I can't bear it take a break, shut down this laptop or use earplugs.

Don't know how these people test their products. Maybe by deaf people.
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

Daniel Anulliero wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:24 pmRemember it happened to me the last year , when I did some texel tuning ( many computations) my notebook was very hot and a strange noise also.
I've changed the thermal paste and now It seems ok.
Depending on the thermal paste, the "pump out effect" through thermal cycling can be more or less pronounced. More thermal load through heavy calculations of course accelerates that. Basically, the paste gets pumped out from where it should be and leaves this area unfilled. This leads to an air gap acting as thermal insulator.

The less viscous (i.e. thinner) a paste is, the better it performs initially because the mounting pressure makes the paste layer thinner, but the more prone it is also to the pump out effect. Laptops are hit worse than desktops because laptops have direct die cooling, unlike desktops with integrated heat spreaders.

The hardcore solution is using liquid metal. With a copper cooler, it should be renewed after half a year initially because gallium migrates into the copper, but that's a self-saturating process. Of course, using it wrong can destroy the laptop, that's the downside.
Rasmus Althoff
https://www.ct800.net